Started by anlauto, November 08, 2018, 04:13:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

it depends on your mindset as far as the definition of "correct"

340 T/A block * check
cast before your car was assembled * check  :rubeyes: I think that's 11*24*69
originally installed in a 1971 vehicle * no
assembled at Windsor in 1971 * no

it's not your original engine - not having that, what IS "correct"?

appears to have been from a '71 Demon

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 11, 2018, 10:57:06 AM

340 T/A block * check

I get 100% what you saying....the wrong motor is still the WRONG motor no matter how you slice it....Same with the "correct date coded motor" crowd....date coded or not it's still the WRONG motor and not the one it's born with....

HOWEVER.....Because the AAR's and T/A's used a unique one year only "TA" block.....I think having at least one of those in the car adds value compared to a regular non-TA block ?

Am I wrong in that thought ? If selling or buying a T/A or AAR, does having a TA block matter ? Opinions everyone....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on November 11, 2018, 10:44:39 AM
Could it be consider correct for my AAR....by that I mean being a correct T/A block ?

The only engine more correct would be the original...

anlauto

Funny you say 71 Demon, because the guy bought it for his 71 Duster, but now he's not sure he wants to build it because of the TA casting...in his words he'd rather see the TA block back in a TA car.(although it never was in one  :looney:)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

I know where a local T/A engine is that I was told (by the guy who built it) that it's all complete from pan to carbs and runs great.  The current owner is not a guy that gets online so he asked me if I knew anyone that wants to buy it.  Most likely in the $10 to $12k range.

6bblgt

I wonder if these 1971 installed 340 T/A blocks were among the last 340s built at Windsor?  :dunno:

"340s are done here, build them all"

750-h2

Not that it matters, but those stamped VIN numbers looks awfully uneven?  :thinking:

73_Cuda_4_Me

If it's a warranty replacement block, the VIN numbers would have been stamped at the dealer... When I worked at Dodge dealership garage back in 71, we had 3 or 4 replacement engines that had to have stamped VIN's put on rail for fed regulations before they could be installed... We didn't have  a multi-digit stamp holder, so had to stamp each digit out... one mechanic would use a lineup bar, and another would just eyeball it...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

73_Cuda_4_Me

...and for what it's worth, the vehicle would be worth more with an 'extremely close' matching T/A engine... like stated above, the only way to get any closer is to have the engine it shipped with, and that ain't happening...

You should get as much out of it to at least cover the cost putting it in, but if you are talking $10-$15k, the purist buyer probably won't give that to you, even though you've gotten as close as possible...

Most everyone else that loves an e-body will appreciate all the effort to be as correct as possible...

:alan2cents:

BS23H3B

anlauto

Quote from: 750-h2 on November 11, 2018, 11:33:47 AM
Not that it matters, but those stamped VIN numbers looks awfully uneven?  :thinking:

That's okay, I'll be re-stamping it anyways with my VIN  :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

LinceCuda

Quote from: anlauto on November 11, 2018, 11:10:33 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on November 11, 2018, 10:57:06 AM

340 T/A block * check

I get 100% what you saying....the wrong motor is still the WRONG motor no matter how you slice it....Same with the "correct date coded motor" crowd....date coded or not it's still the WRONG motor and not the one it's born with....

HOWEVER.....Because the AAR's and T/A's used a unique one year only "TA" block.....I think having at least one of those in the car adds value compared to a regular non-TA block ?

Am I wrong in that thought ? If selling or buying a T/A or AAR, does having a TA block matter ? Opinions everyone....

I would say yes Allen having a T/A block in the T/A or ARR would make a big difference in value and mindset to a owner or potential buyer.

303 Mopar

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on November 11, 2018, 12:01:48 PM
You should get as much out of it to at least cover the cost putting it in, but if you are talking $10-$15k, the purist buyer probably won't give that to you, even though you've gotten as close as possible...
Most everyone else that loves an e-body will appreciate all the effort to be as correct as possible...

:iagree: The value of your car will increase having a real T/A block and heads compared to a stock 340 6 bbl.  I don't think it will increase by $10-15k though.

700 AKN

QuoteBecause the AAR's and T/A's used a unique one year only "TA" block.....I think having at least one of those in the car adds value compared to a regular non-TA block?  Am I wrong in that thought ? If selling or buying a T/A or AAR, does having a TA block matter ? Opinions everyone....

I hate to say this but I was having this same thought just a few weeks ago.   I had my engine pulled from my AAR a month ago and planned to get it rebuilt.   I found out that the block has damage and the shop that was going to rebuild it did not feel comfortable they could do it.   They suggested a place in Mississauga, ON that might be able to repair the block because I wanted to keep the TA Block even thou it was not numbers matching to my car.   I was told it's a warranty replacement block with no VIN number stamped on it.   I took it there 2 weeks ago and so far have heard nothing yet so I plan on calling this week to see how it's going.   I have my fingers crossed they can repair it.   I feel a real TA or AAR should have a TA Block because that's part of the story & history of these cars.  It's like having an original Hemi Cuda with a 440.  Just dosn't feel right.

Below I have posted a few pictures of the block with damage and you can see what I'm talking about.  As Alan will tell you these blocks do not show up much and I'd hate to throw it on the scrap pile.

73_Cuda_4_Me

BS23H3B

GY3R/T

Doesn't look like a professional repair. And pieces missing ?