Main Menu

340 Engine Mount Brackets

Started by garrett007, July 02, 2018, 06:00:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

garrett007

I am working on installing a 340 into my '70 Challenger.  I did not remove the engine, but now I am trying to figure out the correct way to install the motor mount brackets on the block.  Which way did the factory install the six bolts?  The manuals I have looked at do not show the bolts.
70' Challenger - running

blown motor

I can't help you with your question but welcome to the site. Someone here will have the answer for you.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

JS29

gzig5

I don't know what is correct, they will work either way.  But, mine are installed from front to back, meaning the bolt heads face the front of the car, nuts go on from the back of the car towards the front.

BIGSHCLUNK

I could get you a pic of the 340 in my Dart.... if that helps?

76orangewagon

Quote from: gzig5 on July 02, 2018, 07:11:00 AM
I don't know what is correct, they will work either way.  But, mine are installed from front to back, meaning the bolt heads face the front of the car, nuts go on from the back of the car towards the front.

That is the way mine are ....all three bolts per side face the firewall and the heavy stamped bracket goes to be back side of the cast mounting ears/tabs on the block.

bentpshrods

Here's a pic of mine when I pulled it out this spring. So I wouldn't forget. 

76orangewagon

Like the above post here's a couple pics I took so I won't forget later after the rebuild. 

garrett007

Thanks for the pic, just what I was needing.  Here is how they look.
70' Challenger - running

nsmall

How about some more engine pics?  Looking great!

garrett007

Thanks,
70' Challenger - running

Cuda Cody

Nice job on the engine!!!   :clapping:   :1place:

kawahonda

It may not matter...I doubt mine was tampered with.

The bolt threads should face the grille, not the firewall. Only exception is pass side rear top mount bolt which faces the firewall.

Replaced OEM mounts last weekend recently on a virgin A66.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

73_Cuda_4_Me

Here is my 73 parts book drawing page for mounts...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B