Main Menu

340 positive battery cable install

Started by Aar1064, January 08, 2017, 09:47:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Aar1064

I never installed this cable and I was wondering if I have it routed to starter correctly. Picture may not be clear but cable is routed between head pipe and firewall. I'm surprised that the cable end is so close to the head pipe. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help with this.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

It's pretty tight down there and it does run close to the exhaust.  It looks right to me.  But could you try loosening the nut and seeing if you can get the wire tilted a little more pointed up?  Try to align it so it's as far away as possible from the exhaust pipe. 

Aar1064

I checked and it's already up as far as it can go. I took another pic from bottom side.

Thanks for the confirmation everyone.

Cuda Cody

It's hard to see depth in a photo, but could you move it a little up like this (see photo?).  Do whatever you can to get it as far away from the exhaust. 

Aar1064

I think I see what you're saying but cable has the two wire end sealed in the rubber boot so I can't just loosen the big terminal and rotate upwards. Correct?

Cuda Cody

Ya, I think you're right.  I've always worried about how close it is to the exhaust, but it seems to be fine when I start them up. 

Quote from: Aar1064 on January 08, 2017, 04:28:22 PM
I think I see what you're saying but cable has the two wire end sealed in the rubber boot so I can't just loosen the big terminal and rotate upwards. Correct?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP_Cuda

Heat + Copper battery cable = resistance over time = bad

:D
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Aar1064

Quote from: anlauto on January 08, 2017, 05:32:40 PM
Who's headpipe are you using ?

Accurate. It seems that the terminals on the cable are bent in the wrong direction. I had to bend opposite of the way they were manufactured.