Main Menu

Positive battery cable

Started by Rdchallenger, December 02, 2021, 09:26:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rdchallenger

Can anyone explain the difference between a BB and small block positive battery cable and why there is such a huge price difference?

Rich G.

Probably the length. Careful some repos are way to long.

anlauto

I just sold a small block one to a guy with a big block, but I don't think he has tried to install it yet...we figured there can't be that MUCH of a difference  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rdchallenger

I wouldn't think so either. It's just baffling that a BB 68 B-body cable is 40 dollars and a small block Ebody is $140  :barf: :notsure:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chargerdon

Easy...   

An e-body positive cable is a triple...main cable (i think 6 gauge) goes directly to the starter and thats a long run for 6 gauge, and then the switch wire molded together at the starter to the starter relay.   In addition there is a heavy cable (i think 10 gauge) molded into the battery connector from the battery to the starter relay.   So that's three cables on that one...the heaviest gauge is the long one to the starter.   At least that's how it is for a small block.   Cant say for the big block on an E-body. 

B-Body cars have just one cable for the battery positive.   It goes from battery to the starter relay which on a B-body is on the firewall.   The starter itself if fed from a second cable from the starter relay, and then the switch cable back to the starter relay not part of the battery cable.   At least that's how it is on a big block B body.   

I know this for the B-Body because i have a 66 Charger 383 4V automatic, and my 74 Challenger is a small block.   

Incidentally, i bought my E-body cable off of Ebay for $88.96 plus $9.91 .    The seller was classicauto-partsrestoration.   Came quickly and fit very well.   ebay listing was 333757998418.   

69BFan

The cables that you are able to purchase in the $30 to $40 range are made with aluminum wiring.  The cables that you find in the $130 to $150 range are made with copper wiring and lead for the heads.  So in the case of the cables that we make up, the suggested retail pricing is within $10 of each other, whether it be an A, B ore E-Body with a slant 6, small block or big block.  The small block cables are generally a bit longer and some of the applications have extra wires as in fusable links which will impact the  pricing.

So just need to be comparing apples to apples as the $30 cables are no where near the quality of the $130 cables.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

dodj

Quote from: 69BFan on December 02, 2021, 06:03:36 PM
The cables that you are able to purchase in the $30 to $40 range are made with aluminum wiring. 
I Don't believe that..

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Rdchallenger

Quote from: dodj on December 02, 2021, 06:45:10 PM
Quote from: 69BFan on December 02, 2021, 06:03:36 PM
The cables that you are able to purchase in the $30 to $40 range are made with aluminum wiring. 
I Don't believe that..

Unfortunately I agree with you, not to mention I have seen many posts from other forums complaining of the ends of those cables that are $140 being just basic crimped and fraying... Not saying it was a certain company because they didn't mention one.

dodj

Quote from: Rdchallenger on December 02, 2021, 09:26:16 AM
Can anyone explain the difference between a BB and small block positive battery cable and why there is such a huge price difference?
You can get around the higher price by making your own. Buy a #4ga starter wire to go from battery to starter. Available off the shelf almost anywhere.
Get a length of #12 or #10. Crimp appropriate ends on it. Tape/wrap it to the #4ga wire and you're done.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Bullitt-

Searching around they all appear to have the same configuration so I suppose there is some difference in length... Someone here said 44" for a smallblock another said 40" will work
https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/71-cuda-340-battery-cable-length-and-routing/6779/

I've never heard of this outfit & the price makes me skeptical. Some research says partsmix is legit
https://www.partsmix.com/products/mopar-big-block-68-69-70-71-72-b-e-body-positive-battery-cable.html

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Bullitt- on December 03, 2021, 07:30:10 AM
Searching around they all appear to have the same configuration so I suppose there is some difference in length... Someone here said 44" for a smallblock another said 40" will work
https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/71-cuda-340-battery-cable-length-and-routing/6779/

I've never heard of this outfit & the price makes me skeptical. Some research says partsmix is legit
https://www.partsmix.com/products/mopar-big-block-68-69-70-71-72-b-e-body-positive-battery-cable.html

Yeah! Partsmix is legit, I've ordered a few things from them. That is absolutely the deal of the day!