Main Menu

Rear end and possible trans tags

Started by usraptor, July 20, 2017, 03:28:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

I'm ready to install the "4:10" metal tag on my Dana cover and was wondering is there any particular bolts that it attaches to? 
Also, I found this other tag "M63HP"  in my parts stash.  I think it may have come off the transmission (4-speed) but I not sure.  Can anybody tell me what it attaches to and is there a factory correct position to attach it too?
thanks   :soshelp:

Cuda Cody

Dana samples.  The 2nd photo is from @ScottSmith_Harms  and is an original 71 Hemi Cuda he inspected.  The first photo is a 1970 Hemi Dana.

6bblgt

the "M63HP" is a MELLING big-block oil pump tag

usraptor

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 20, 2017, 03:39:08 PM
Dana samples.  The 2nd photo is from @ScottSmith_Harms  and is an original 71 Hemi Cuda he inspected.  The first photo is a 1970 Hemi Dana.

So basically it looks like they put them wherever the assembler wanted to? 

usraptor

ScottSmith_Harms

QuoteSo basically it looks like they put them wherever the assembler wanted to?

Mistakes and variability in bolt on part details are quite common. The example above of a low mile highly original car, I have zero doubt the tag was factory installed just where you see it, so, it's at least one example you can feel confident of it being correct. That said I'm sure there were other originals placed in different locations, left off all together, etc.

As with most details of these cars you need to research as many known originals as possible to build a solid data base of evidence supporting what is most probably correct for your own car should its original reference details be missing.

anlauto

Dana gear ratio tag usually goes at 8 o'clock, sometimes 7 . :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

There's 2 tabs in the first photo.  It's hard to see the one in the 7 o'clock spot.  One of the limited slip and the other is the gear ratio.

usraptor

Thanks everybody!  The info is very apprecaited.  :worship:  :twothumbsup:

ScottSmith_Harms

1971 Hemi Charger survivor 4.10 Dana

Cuda Cody

Great photos of the detail.  Rare to find a Dana that clean and original.   :clapping:

ScottSmith_Harms

Yea its pretty cool, both sides still have all of the wraps of masking tape that held the brake lines in place before installation, the red & white part# tape, and the correct original green plastic plug (reproductions are all red).