Main Menu

REAR END TAGS

Started by 6pack, September 03, 2022, 09:36:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

6pack

I just installed an original 1970 E body DANA 60 in my CUDA.  I have obtained some limited slip and ratio tags.  What is the proper finish on theses tags? I have seen some plain and some black.

JH27N0B

As far as I know they were plain unpainted, but someone might correct me on that.
Another thing you might or might not be aware of, is there were white paper tags with the part number printed in red wrapped around the axle housing by the leaf spring.

6pack

If in fact they were plain, I may clearcoat with a matte finish.  Both the limited slip tags are old NOS and have a very small amount of rust freckles.

anlauto

I think the opposite, it's always been my belief that Dana 60's were painted as an assembled unit with the brake backing plates installed etc..., therefore any tags that would be held on by the bolts, would be painted black with the assembly. :alan2cents:

The large round sure grip tag was not used on the 70+ Danas either... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6pack

These tags are rectangular. I wonder if they lifted them to paint the cover underneath after installed like some fender tags then pushed down to paint the rest.  So Alan, have you always painted them on your restorations?

anlauto

Yes, I've painted them on my restorations, but that's just based on my own assumptions, based on what I've read or seen in the past. :dunno:

Don't ever do something on your restoration project just because "I've done  it"  :o :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration