Main Menu

340 Winter Upgrade

Started by Shane Kelley, January 02, 2018, 09:21:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

I wouldn't have taken it apart but good on you for catching the PV contact. I don't know how you guys get so lucky, I had that happen once and it broke a Hemi head and I had to sideline the car for a year and a half searching for another head (1981 and Hemi parts were hard to find). I broke it the same way you did, 7000RPM in high gear.
Sheldon

cudabob496

your car deserves an AFR meter
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Shane Kelley

This is the plugs when I run my set tune up. This is with 72 mains and quality 100 octane fuel. Before I parked it I had bumped it up a couple times to 75 mains and garbage 92 fuel. That was a terrible combination. The last pic is with 75's and quality fuel.

HP_Cuda

135 mph on manual brakes sure would be alot of fun if you had to stop toute suite.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Shane Kelley

Quote from: HP_Cuda on January 03, 2018, 02:13:33 PM

135 mph on manual brakes sure would be alot of fun if you had to stop toute suite.
Honestly the car stops on a dime. I have a small bore master cylinder with the large brakes and it works really good. That small bore takes less effort and pushes more pressure than the original large bore master cylinders.

HP_Cuda

That would be something to see... :popcorn:

Quote from: Shane Kelley on January 03, 2018, 02:22:12 PM

Honestly the car stops on a dime. I have a small bore master cylinder with the large brakes and it works really good. That small bore takes less effort and pushes more pressure than the original large bore master cylinders.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

cudabob496

ya, I almost hit a toute suite once!
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

MOPAR MITCH

Nice winter upgrades!... heated garage? :ohyeah:

Shane Kelley

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on January 04, 2018, 11:36:01 AM
Nice winter upgrades!... heated garage? :ohyeah:
Yes.  I have heat and A/C in my shop. It's kind of a combo shop/man cave.

1 Wild R/T

Your piston to valve contact looks like the piston cutout is for a smaller valve... It didn't hit the bottom of the valve pocket, it hit the edge...

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 15, 2018, 03:38:55 PM
Your piston to valve contact looks like the piston cutout is for a smaller valve... It didn't hit the bottom of the valve pocket, it hit the edge...
Exactly. Probably some cheaper pistons of some sort. The good news is that it won't be run any harder than I have already run it. I'm going to dress these two pistons up and run it. I'm still under the impression that a couple valve springs must be weak. Otherwise all the pistons would be marked. IMO

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Shane Kelley on January 15, 2018, 03:54:23 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 15, 2018, 03:38:55 PM
Exactly. Probably some cheaper pistons of some sort. The good news is that it won't be run any harder than I have already run it. I'm going to dress these two pistons up and run it. I'm still under the impression that a couple valve springs must be weak. Otherwise all the pistons would be marked. IMO

:iagree:

734406PK

:iagree: Something else is wrong IMO.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 734406PK on January 15, 2018, 07:31:27 PM
:iagree: Something else is wrong IMO.
Like what?  Other than piston manufacturing issue with the piston height or a bad rod bearing I can't think of anything else that would cause that to happen. No engine knocks and great oil pressure tells me rod bearings are probably good. The marks look pretty fresh also. Like it happened on the last big top end run before I parked it.

RUNCHARGER

We always try to hit them a bit harder Shane.
Sheldon