Main Menu

340 Winter Upgrade

Started by Shane Kelley, January 02, 2018, 09:21:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 16, 2018, 07:04:45 PM
We always try to hit them a bit harder Shane.

It would be easy and cheap to pull the valves that made contact and check them now? Just a thought?  I wouldn't sleep nights if it was mine and I didn't?  I have by hand with a carbide burr made the required clearance in a set of pistons. I just brought the piston up to the top and taped/paper everything off and went to it. This was a circle track engine, worked great, went the entire season.  :alan2cents:

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Brads70 on January 17, 2018, 05:20:34 AM

It would be easy and cheap to pull the valves that made contact and check them now? Just a thought?  I wouldn't sleep nights if it was mine and I didn't?  I have by hand with a carbide burr made the required clearance in a set of pistons. I just brought the piston up to the top and taped/paper everything off and went to it. This was a circle track engine, worked great, went the entire season.  :alan2cents:
For sure. Bruce will be going through the heads completely after porting. Complete valve job and fresh springs. I'm pretty sure #6 cylinder intake valve is bent. It hit the hardest and looks wet like it hasn't been firing.

Shane Kelley

I don't always get lucky either. I have had some major engine destruction happen to me in the past. Dropped valves, broken connecting rod and even had a broken wrist pin once.

Chryco Psycho

I have seen a lot of carnage but thankfully none of my engines !
Careful or lucky , , I believe careful .
I had a customer who tried to blow up a 360 /W2 we built , it made a lot of power ,  Who knows what he did to it but the cam lost lost a lobe , all 8 con rods were bent , some valves were too , but it stayed together . He brought it back it back barely running .

RUNCHARGER

Yup: I lost a year and a half in the 80's when a head broke off a valve and punched a hole in the combustion chamber on a Hemi. I was having fun when I broke it though.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

Playdough is your friend for PTV checks.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

734406PK

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 15, 2018, 03:38:55 PM
Your piston to valve contact looks like the piston cutout is for a smaller valve... It didn't hit the bottom of the valve pocket, it hit the edge...

:iagree: I think my post was out of synch. Sorry!

Shane Kelley

Looks like Bruce is done porting the heads. Still has intake manifold to do. 
Here are the numbers. Superflow 600 bench @ 28 H2O.   Same as Edlebrock test theirs on. Top pic is Edlebrocks claimed numbers with out of the box RPM heads. Second pic is my heads before and after porting. Bruce says stock 340 heads with 2.02 valves flow right around 220 @ .500 lift.  So the Eddy's do flow a little better than stock but not as much as they claim. I was hoping for 280 @ 500 on the intake but overall the numbers show some pretty good gain. Roughly 50-60hp is what I should be able to pick up.  Maybe a little more with the intake work. Bottom pic is the cam I run.

Shane Kelley

Bruce sent some pics of the porting on my heads. He's finishing up the intake and will be shipping everything back to me next week.  :banana: Bottom 2 pics are prior to porting.

RUNCHARGER

Nice, that will be fun to test drive.
Sheldon

nsmall

I must be sick upstairs.  I just read this entire thread and basically didnt understand anything you guys said.  I would like to see the new numbers Shane once you're done.  Dont die test driving the new engine.  Once I hit 80 in my civic I get scared  :whiteflag:

Shane Kelley

Quote from: nsmall on February 22, 2018, 09:31:59 PM
I must be sick upstairs.  I just read this entire thread and basically didnt understand anything you guys said.  I would like to see the new numbers Shane once you're done.  Dont die test driving the new engine.  Once I hit 80 in my civic I get scared  :whiteflag:
Gear head stuff.  For people who can't leave well enough alone! :burnout:

Shane Kelley

Got some intake port pics from Bruce.  Say that 3 times fast! :haha: Lower 3 pics prior to porting.

Looks nice , are you going to do flow #'s before and after ?

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 73440 on February 24, 2018, 05:17:20 AM
Looks nice , are you going to do flow #'s before and after ?
They are listed above.  Left column stock cfm and right column is ported cfm.