Main Menu

4 speed parts companies recommendations??

Started by bldeagle1, September 19, 2021, 07:13:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

bldeagle1

Hi all, rebuilding my A833 and I need to basically replace all 3 gears, the input shaft, and the synchro hubs. Besides Brewers and Passon, what other suppliers has anyone here used? There are a few out there like TPD (tramsmissionpartsdistributors), which didn't have great reviews for their customer service. There is AMP Distributing, Allstate gear.... ??? Thanks in advance!
Former:
1974 Challenger, 318/727 (first car)

Current:
2016 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Shaker (Factory Ordered)
1972 Top Banana Rallye 4 Speed (in restoration)

Dakota

I bought a rebuilt A833 OD from Passion and speedo gears, shifter parts and  various clips and bits from Brewers.  Both have been great companies to deal with, so I've never felt a need to look elsewhere. 

anlauto

I used Brewers, I like to stick with Mopar guys that know everything there is to know about Mopar transmissions :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Dan Brewer or Jamie Passion would be the only two I would use.  :alan2cents:

bldeagle1

I get that they are the experts in the field, but cost wise, a 1st speed gear on their sites is 3 times the cost of comparable ones from other companies...so just asking if anyone has used any others :)
Former:

Current:

anlauto

What quality are the parts the "other" guy is selling ? and do they stand behind their parts ? I know Brewers have had some parts manufactured in the USA for them. :bigmoney:  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

You cans try Ed Hartnett. I know he's a big GM guy but I got my basic kit from him for my challenger. He's always at Carlisle too.

bldeagle1

As to the quality of the gears, I don't know, that's why I am asking here, to see if anyone has used them. I do know that I ordered my rebuild kit from Brewers and the bearings are stamped "CHINA" on them, so if the bearing from China is OK maybe these gears are? AMP distributing has about 6000 reviews on eBay with a 99.5% positive rating....again just looking for options when spending either $464 on a set of gears versus $820, when the supplier could be the same?
Former:

Current:

bldeagle1

Just as a follow up I did reach out to AMP Distributing and they replied very quickly and let me know that their gears are made from SAE 8620 alloy steel, which is the same answer I received from Brewers.
Former:

Current:

torredcuda

I used both Passon and Brewers for my rebiuld and both were great to deal with. I needed reverse and second gears and bought refurbished ones which look like new.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/