Main Menu

2 Timing Cover And Water Pump Bolt Questions With Pics.

Started by Daveh, September 11, 2020, 12:27:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hi guys,

In the pics below can you tell me if any of those bolts go into the water jacket?

1. The 2 at the bottom of the timing cover.
2. The two that bolt the power steering pump on.

Thanks
Dave

b5cuda

Small block?  I believe just the top four long bolts (two on either side, not including the top center) go into the water jacket.   

Burdar

For sure the ones circled in red.(in my picture)  Not 100% sure about the ones circled in blue but I'm pretty sure they are.  The lower bolts that hold the water pump on do NOT go into water.  The lower bolts down by the oil pan do NOT go into water either.

Daveh

Chryco Psycho

In the first picture If they are open , I don't believe they are , they would go into the crankcase / oiling you can check looking inside the cover .
I believe one of the lower bolts in the second picture is open to the bottom of the water jacket . you can slide in a small screw driver to check , but I recall those need to be sealed up .

Scooter

Going to resurrect this older thread for my 360LA.

I finally found out where the water was going.... turns out the seal on my water pump is marginal. Only leaks a lil bit under load/pressure.. but not enough to leave a puddle. Water was hitting the balancer and getting flung making it hard to locate the source. Then I remembered about the weep hole a few days ago. Got the mirror on a stick out and there is the evidence of water. Ordered a new Melling HV pump and matching EMP HV thermostat should arrive in a few days.

Question.. what are you all using on the threads of the upper bolts to seal the threads? That white Loctite PTFE thread sealer or regular RTV?

PLY474

I use and like Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant.  From the TDS, "This product is designed to give controlled friction (torque/tension ratio), during assembly."  I interpret this to mean that specified torques may be used without modification.  https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds/thread-sealants/permatex-high-performance-thread-sealant/

Scooter

^^ Thanks! Parts slotted to arrive tomorrow... I'll need to stop by oriely's and see what that have.

MoparLeo

Rectorseal Just not silicone. Something that stays pliable.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Scooter

Quote from: MoparLeo on March 04, 2021, 12:14:32 AM
Rectorseal Just not silicone. Something that stays pliable.

Yup.. need something that stays pliable and also resists anti-freeze. Which variant do you use.. T Plus 2?

Northcuda

A Barracuda 70 that wants to be as big as a Cuda Trans am.

Scooter

New water pump is in and working great! I ended up using Permatex 59214 on all 4 bolts for the water pass through.

Found another issue when I disassembled. The prior owner did not use thread sealer at all for the bolts that went into the water jackets.. he used anti seize.  :o I guess the upside is I did not have any issues removing the bolts...  ::)