Main Menu

4V carbs.... vacuum vs mechanical secondaries

Started by chargerdon, March 01, 2019, 02:35:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP_Cuda

This is the way I look at it:

Vacuum carb - best fuel economy and fairly good performance. Can tune it
DP carb - not so great fuel economy but great performance. Can tune it
EFI - best all around reliability and performance but carbs still beat it in the 1/4 mile at the top end.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho

I would pull the top off , I think you have to so you can remove the squirter anyway , I would raise the float level slighty while you are in there as it will help the bog & hurt nothing else . IO have drilled squirters trying to get enough shot from Eddy carbs in the past , the lack of parts really sucks .

kawahonda

Thanks so much. This is really helpful advice. Wonder if I should change the float + change the squirter in one go, or just be prepared to do one at a time!
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Chryco Psycho

chargerdon

Just an FYI

I installed Track Addict app onto my smartphone (its free from google play)..it can time 1/8 and 1/4 mile runs
With it on first attempt i recorded:
0-330 7.0 secs and 47.4 mph
1/8 mile in 9.48 and 71.8 mph
1000 ft in 12.28 at 82.8 mph and
1/4 in 14.89 at 79.9 mph

Not horrible but a lot better is doable...  three things
1) i started off nice and easy to avoid wheelspin.   
2) I made the run in Drive..recognize my 904 shifts too early when its not held in gear...1-2 nd at only about 30 mph, and 2nd to drive at about 66 mph.   To get better i have to hold it in gear and then manually push the shifter.   I couldnt do this since i was holding the cell phone in one hand..   (got a dash mount holder for it now and will try again when weather gets good again.)
3) You can see my speed in 1/4 is lower than at the 1000 ft mark.   This is because i got off of it when i thought i was thru the qtr..  my speedo was showing 92mph...and its accurate.   BUT the app uses gps readings to do all of its calculations and it only updates at 1 second intervals...so lots of extrapolation... between the 1000 and 1/4 i left off before the last 1 sec interval so the computer extrapolated the 79.9.   Next time i will let it run an extra second past my 1/4 mile spot so that the extrapolation is more accurate and reflectcs the speed.   

Lastly, it also video records the session...   watching the video i saw that i caught the speedo, and when it hit 60 the video showing elapsed "run" time was 5.85 seconds... i think that's pretty darn good for a 360 with 235x60x14 tires, 3.23, letting it shift early and the cheap 600 cfm eddy on it.   Tho true...that doesn't include my reaction time..!!  Still, i think on a prepped track and holding the gears, i might be able to get sub 5 second run..  (not including my reaction time).   Love that lunati 703 cam !!