Main Menu

70 challenger - gear shift linkage is short

Started by mtterry, November 13, 2022, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mtterry

Trying to hook up the transmission gear linkage. We are finding the gearshift control lever appears different than what's shown in the service manual. We are about an inch or two short. Pic is what I have. 727 / 383 1970 challenger... Tell a noob what I have mismatched or wrong lol.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

anlauto

Are you saying the black rod in the back is not reaching the vertical shaft from the interior ? Is both the transmission and the shifter in park ? Tranny could be is 1st ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mtterry

Quote from: anlauto on November 13, 2022, 06:15:41 PM
Are you saying the black rod in the back is not reaching the vertical shaft from the interior ? Is both the transmission and the shifter in park ? Tranny could be is 1st ?
The rod that attaches to the gear shift on the tranny will not reach when the transmission is in park and the floor shifter is in park. I can shift through each individually fine

anlauto

The transmission is in park when the lower lever on the side is all the way towards the BACK of the car correct ? It's hard to tell in your picture, but it looks to be all the way forward, in 1st gear :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

mtterry

Quote from: anlauto on November 14, 2022, 05:04:08 AM
The transmission is in park when the lower lever on the side is all the way towards the BACK of the car correct ? It's hard to tell in your picture, but it looks to be all the way forward, in 1st gear :rubeyes:
I'll have to look again. But regardless in park ,(linkage) it can't reach the lever in any position

anlauto

oh...hard to tell I guess in your picture....it looks pretty darn close to me, you're just missing the adjuster block that connects the rod to the vertical lever :dunno:

mtterry

Quote from: anlauto on November 14, 2022, 05:41:28 AM
oh...hard to tell I guess in your picture....it looks pretty darn close to me, you're just missing the adjuster block that connects the rod to the vertical lever :dunno:
I went and looked at it today.... And let's chalk it up to a long day haha. I think we are good. Just brain farting. When looking at the service manual the transmission lever looked like it was curved, when ours was straight out.

anlauto