Main Menu

'71 340 Cuda - Look at this motor - How did it get this way??? Any ideas?

Started by TOP1PERFORMER, August 19, 2019, 04:56:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

TOP1PERFORMER

Was not aware of the other stamp on the passenger side. Will give that a look tonight. Thanks

TOP1PERFORMER

Thanks for the input. I will be pulling the motor and tranny hopefully by next week and start tearing it apart. Hopefully I can salvage it.

TOP1PERFORMER

Just read something in a Challenger & Barracuda Restoration Guide.
Referring to the upper block pad it states:

"You may also find this pad blank, which indicates that the original engine was replaced under warranty. Warranty engines usually have a tag riveted to the block just above the freeze plug".

Well based on that and other info you shared, I have a few things to look for.
Thanks for the help. Will be back when I get more info.
:twothumbsup:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gzig5

I was going to suggest it was a cash for clunkers refugee but the timing wasn't right.  I agree with the flood victim scenario. 

73_Cuda_4_Me

There will be more information stamped on the front of the block on the driver's side, under the timing chain cover, just below where the head mounts to the block...

:alan2cents:

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

TOP1PERFORMER

That's the area that's blank unless you are referring to another area. See my last PIC on the initial post.

TOP1PERFORMER

jimynick - it isn't sugar. Put about 3 heaping tablespoons in a container and hit it twice with hot water. Mixed it up and mixed it up but it only softened it. It didn't separate.

Tried to burn it with a torch. Not much happened. Started to burn a bit but as soon as I pulled the torch away it went out.
It's not sand either.

When I removed the crap off the piston I could see the surface was corroded.

Rich G. - you could be right about the electrolysis. I have a feeling it's going to be impossible to free up the pistons. Lots of penetrating oil to start.

76orangewagon - the pad on the passenger side behind the motor mount is not stamped either. It must be a warranty motor like the restoration book states. Don't have any other explanation. The intake manifold and heads look correct so maybe a replacement shortblock was installed under warranty. I guess the crank should have a # on it. That should tell me something.

I also saw a small spot of chrysler blue under some flaking orange paint on the water pump housing. This engine is painted orange. Isn't a 71 supposed to be Chrysler blue? Will be interesting when the motor is pulled.

I appreciate everyone's input. Will see if I can pull the motor next week.

Fred

76orangewagon

I also saw a small spot of chrysler blue under some flaking orange paint on the water pump housing. This engine is painted orange. Isn't a 71 supposed to be Chrysler blue? Will be interesting when the motor is pulled.

Fred
[/quote

Fred,
Chrysler switched to Corporate Blue for the 340 engine somewhere in the spring of 1971, My 1971 has a Scheduled Production Date of April 30th (430) and the motor is cast January 21st 1971 and a final assembly date of March 28th 1971 (3528 on the 10000 day calendar) and should be blue. If you had numbers on the top of the block by #1 cylinder it would read something like GM340P******* (G) 1971 (M) mounds Rd,  340,  (P) Premium Fuel, **** (10000 day) **** Shift & number of engine assembled per shift. If the block was Orange the 2nd digit would be (W) for Windsor (Ontario) motor. I can only guess that replacement blocks would be Blue since they were most likely cast and assembled after the car was delivered but who knows what was sitting on the shelf when (if) it was replaced. Most people seem to go with orange regardless of what color the motor originally was, especially the 72-74 crowd.

TOP1PERFORMER

Quote from: 76orangewagon on August 20, 2019, 03:32:18 PM

Fred
[/quote

Fred,
Chrysler switched to Corporate Blue for the 340 engine somewhere in the spring of 1971, My 1971 has a Scheduled Production Date of April 30th (430) and the motor is cast January 21st 1971 and a final assembly date of March 28th 1971 (3528 on the 10000 day calendar) and should be blue. If you had numbers on the top of the block by #1 cylinder it would read something like GM340P******* (G) 1971 (M) mounds Rd,  340,  (P) Premium Fuel, **** (10000 day) **** Shift & number of engine assembled per shift. If the block was Orange the 2nd digit would be (W) for Windsor (Ontario) motor. I can only guess that replacement blocks would be Blue since they were most likely cast and assembled after the car was delivered but who knows what was sitting on the shelf when (if) it was replaced. Most people seem to go with orange regardless of what color the motor originally was, especially the 72-74 crowd.

Thanks 76orangewagon for the added information. That is helpful. It's bad enough to find the motor in this condition but it's making me nuts because I have nothing stamped on the block to determine what I actually have. I'm hoping to find a # on the crank to give me some indication. Hope I can get it out  :deadhorse: Might need a sledgehammer!