Main Menu

727 Kickdown Linkage for '70 Challenger 383

Started by erik70rt, July 10, 2017, 06:47:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

How can you tell if your car came with the 3 piece or the 1 piece linkage?  I don't have the build sheet, and a lot of parts were replaced during a previous restoration.  In the FSM, is lists both.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Chryco Psycho

Do you have the original trans case , does it have a pivot pin on the left side , if it does 3 piece if not 1 piece

1 Wild R/T

70 used 3 piece.... 71 went to 1 piece... Both work, I prefer the three piece design, it gives a more positive action...

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 10, 2017, 07:05:51 AM
70 used 3 piece.... 71 went to 1 piece... Both work, I prefer the three piece design, it gives a more positive action...

:iagree:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

erik70rt

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 10, 2017, 07:00:05 AM
Do you have the original trans case , does it have a pivot pin on the left side , if it does 3 piece if not 1 piece

I'll have to crawl under it and look.  The engine isn't original so I wouldn't be surprised if the trans isn't either.  It has the 1 piece on it now.

erik70rt

Crawled under last night and the trans is not the original to the car, but does match the engine which I know is from a '70 C body.  It didn't have the pivot pin, but does have the mounting hole for the pin.

Thanks!

erik70rt

I picked up a three piece and went to install it today.  Does every body style/engine combo use the same sized linkage?  When I went to install the lower rod to the trans kickdown lever, it loos like it's a few inches too long.  It's not even close to fitting.  What am I doing wrong here?

Chryco Psycho

the distance from the pivot pin to the shift lever is the same on all auto trans , is the pivot lever on the right way around ?

erik70rt

RUNCHARGER

I always thought the one piece hit the firewall in a B or E body.
Sheldon

wannadrag

B body the one piece hits, E body it s works on as there is more room between the engine and firewall. I have a one piece in my 70 Challenger and it works fine.

erik70rt

I got it installed last night.  I had the pivot arm mounted in the wrong place on the transmission.  DOH!