Main Menu

Does this kickdown linkage look right?

Started by xx88man, March 22, 2024, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

What the heck?? I'm sorting out issues on this 74 Challenger. Quadrajet carb. If I were to attach the kick down linkage to the carb would this be anywhere close to the way it should be? Previous owner of this had no idea and she said she "drove it roughly 500 miles"  :pullinghair:
What are the chances she didn't kill the transmission?
Keep yer foot in it

Rich G.

Bullitt-

my '73-340 727 kickdown with original style Thermoquad carb

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

xx88man

Quote from: anlauto on March 23, 2024, 09:24:38 AMStart with the right carb first :alan2cents:

Okay so I have a quadrajet carb which some of these cars have. What is the "right carb"?
Keep yer foot in it

xx88man

So I hooked up my kick down linkage but something definitely isn't right. I don't have the adjustment where Bullit says "adjust here". With the carb at WOT my transmission piece is not all the way towards the back.. in fact a couple of inches short. So do I need a whole different setup? Carburetor with the throttle linkage 2" farther rearwards?

Keep yer foot in it

xx88man

Obviously my pieces are wrong but is my carb wrong too? The transmission is dated 1968 if that makes a difference
Keep yer foot in it

Bullitt-

Quadrajet never came on a Mopar that I'm aware of but I don't know of any reason it couldn't work. Here is a photo said to be a '74 340 which has the original Thermoquad style carb.
  It seems to me the added bolt in the slot on yours needs to be farther forward to get the proper engagement.

I'm aware that some years used different style kickdowns but this is my first dive into a '74 ... apparently the adjustment is down at the tranny

This is the only image I could find that might be relevant (thinking this is a van). If you could find someone with a '74 Service Manual it should be easier to understand

Best video I could find of an explanation of kickdown adjustment.... obviously a different style kickdown than what you have
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY9WTWayCC8
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Rich G.

I bought a couple different kick down setups when I did my last car. None were correct so I just cut one and added the extra length needed. You probably should have a Thermoquad carb if it's the original manifold.

xx88man

Yes some of these cars came with a thermoquad not a quadrajet. My brain injury confuses me sometimes
Keep yer foot in it