Main Menu

T/A Kickdown Linkage

Started by texasdave, January 23, 2021, 07:52:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

texasdave

Need help with getting the correct 340-6 Kickdown Linkage rod!  I have purchased 3 used rods from various sources with a promise that they were for a 340-6 setup.  None were correct.  I only needed the rod, but I had to break down and buy the $350 kit which contained all the linkage parts.  With great excitement, I installed the rod and it hit the firewall at about half throttle!  I then borrowed a friend's  original six pack kickdown rod from his running T/A.  I installed it in my TA and it fit perfectly.  I took some photos of the two rods and it can be clearly seen that there are major differences.  I thought about heating and bending the repro rod, but it is so different I would probably end up destroying it.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can get a correct rod?  Very frustrated!!  Thanks!  (I hope the 2 photos were attached.  I checked the preview and they weren't there!)

anlauto

Is it different from a 340 4 bbl set-up ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

I had the same problem when I did a 73 340. Bought 2 and neither one would fit. One had the correct bends but was short so I cut it and welded in a piece, ground it and painted it and it looks and works fine. Nothing like one size fits all with Mopar!

texasdave

Yes, they are definitely different from a 340 4 barrel.

71383bee

I'm surprised that it's a one piece system. I thought the 70 used the 3 piece setup. At least the FSM shows that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

anlauto

Quote from: texasdave on January 23, 2021, 12:37:53 PM
Yes, they are definitely different from a 340 4 barrel.

That's interesting, I can't find anything in the parts book that calls out for a different rod for the 340  six pack engines. Do you have the part number :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

texasdave

I don't have a part number.  Most 340-6 stuff isn't in the parts book.  It seems that the AAR's and T/A's were last minute projects and were too late to get included in the book.

anlauto

Is there a list somewhere of unique parts that the AAR/TA's had, and their numbers ? The parts book I was reading today, has 340+6 parts listed, just not a different part number for that rod  :thinking:

@6bblgt Dan, any thoughts ?

Skdmark

The first picture is supposedly an NOS 340-6 kickdown lever that was posted on Moparts.
It was also mentioned that the part number is the same as a 72 b-body with 318. The second picture is from an ad on ebay.
Might be something to look into a bit deeper.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Rich G.

There's no part number on the rod so how can you know what is right , pictures all look correct 🧐