Main Menu

73 Challenger 340 build

Started by Inmemoryof..., June 07, 2020, 04:06:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Inmemoryof...

So I'm a experienced bodyman with mechanical aptitude. But have never done major engine work. If having clear instructions can pretty much do anything. Do you think I should attempt a engine maybe stroker build?  Can't find and clear reference or videos. Looking for 425 to 500 hp. Or should I just bite the bullet and let the engine builder do it? Thanks

Inmemoryof...

RUNCHARGER

Nah: You can do it. Lots of us here can help as well.Do you know if there is a good engine machine shop near you? Quality machine work is important on a build and I've always been lucky to know/use good machinists.
Sheldon

gzig5

You can absolutely do it.  A stroker is the way to go to get to that power level unless you are willing to build a high revving 340 or 360.  To get to that level you will need some good aftermarket heads and a stout cam, and there are several options.  All depends on how you want to use the car.
This is the 408 stroker easy button.  Hard to beat their price and warranty.  https://blueprintengines.com/collections/chrysler-crate-engines

Chryco Psycho

I would build a 360  block instead , you should be able to get for almost free save the 340 block ,
All you need is a good machinist we can help with the rest  :bigthumb:

kawahonda

Get a junkyard magnum 5.9L and stowaway the 340. A very modest 408 stroker is 400hp bare minimal.

You can even make it look stock too!

1970 Dodge Challenger A66