Main Menu

Build a new '70 Cuda/Challenger ?

Started by Racer57, December 25, 2017, 02:03:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Does the aftermarket companies supply enough OEM replacement components that someone could build a "new" 1970 Cuda/Challenger using only those items ?

RUNCHARGER

Dynacorn used to advertise a complete 70 Challenger body shell however I am not sure if they ever sold one.
Sheldon

750-h2

No. There are still tons of parts not being reproduced.

71GranCoupe

I believe Dave at Roseville can set you up if you are looking for one.  :cheers:

Roadman

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on December 25, 2017, 11:13:29 PM
I believe Dave at Roseville can set you up if you are looking for one.  :cheers:

:iagree:

HP2

Yet the mopar world seems much more critical and  suspicious of building a car with one of these than the GM and Ford crowd are, despite the Mopar pedigree being much easier to prove than the GMs and Fords.

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

If I was building a Pro Touring (I think that's what they are called) modified car I would be tempted to build one of the Dynacorns with a govt. issued VIN. I see no ethical or build problems with doing that. My son has Factory 5 Cobra kit car, it seems to be the same idea.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

Not possible but you would make Tony very happy for those hard to find parts.

My guess is that you could build maybe 75% of one. ????
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Racer57

I'm not wanting to build one, but was just curious if it was possible.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 26, 2017, 11:11:04 AM
If I was building a Pro Touring (I think that's what they are called) modified car I would be tempted to build one of the Dynacorns with a govt. issued VIN. I see no ethical or build problems with doing that. My son has Factory 5 Cobra kit car, it seems to be the same idea.

I've always wondered about the Dynacorn bodies. People love to jump on cars that have a lot of metal work done and call them re-bodies but in my opinion, if someone buys a new Dynacorn body and sticks a factory VIN on it, that's a total re-body  :alan2cents: :pokeeye: :notsure:

Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 29, 2017, 01:23:24 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 26, 2017, 11:11:04 AM

I've always wondered about the Dynacorn bodies. People love to jump on cars that have a lot of metal work done and call them re-bodies but in my opinion, if someone buys a new Dynacorn body and sticks a factory VIN on it, that's a total re-body  :alan2cents: :pokeeye: :notsure:

Or a Taiwan import.  :haha: :rofl:

RUNCHARGER

Yup: That's why I said a state issued VIN, so there would be no question it wasn't a "real" car.
Sheldon

HP2

There are enough body parts out there I've toyed with the idea of recreating a Kit Car. This wouldn't require some of the  small, minor  bracket and pieces a street car would need, but  can be done with frame rails, floors and body panels.

I think when I  broke out the costs, it would run around $4k US to build the basic chassis without  body. More than what I'd want to spend to actually put one in an oval track class, but not so much that it  wouldn't make a  great autocross or track day road racer.