Main Menu

73 engine colour

Started by fireguyfire, April 02, 2019, 05:50:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

What was the factory correct colour on the engine and bell housing of a 1973 340 engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvs cycles

fireguyfire

And the bellhousing was corporate blue also?

Chryco Psycho

the belhousings were bolted to the engine when painted so the front area of the belhousing was oversprayed with the engine but not full or properly painted
I don't have a good picture sorry

fireguyfire

That's alright; you've described it perfectly; I can picture the overspray onto the cast bellhousing

Chryco Psycho

Most people either leave it bare or paint it completely but the factory only 1/2 painted it .

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

Yuppers...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fireguyfire

Another question; should the bell housing lower cover be bare metal as well?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

fireguyfire

Just ran my bell housing through the parts washer and I'm about to clean the paint off to put it back to cast.
I found these 2 numbers written on the top and the side "635". I'm assuming they don't mean much as they are in yellow paint pen over the aftermarket orange paint, but i thought I'd post them up anyways for opinions.
Any guesses on what "635" is for?

fireguyfire

Pics

anlauto

Looks like something a junkyard might have written on there at one time  :dunno:

Chryco Psycho

I would still paint the inspection cover on the bottom steel color to prevent the inevitable rust

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on April 13, 2019, 12:41:19 PM
Looks like something a junkyard might have written on there at one time  :dunno:

635 is the HOLLANDER Interchange number for #2892260 ('68)/#2892624 ('69) bellhousing - it originally fit  1968-'69 Chrysler, Dodge & Plymouth B & C-bodies w/383 & 440

the '68 casting number is: 2892262
the '69 casting number is: 2892626