Main Menu

8-3/4 Axle Seal Question

Started by 7E-Bodies, April 27, 2022, 01:35:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Replacing the axle seals in my 70 8-3/4 and noticed this either rough machining or damage and really want to be certain before tapping in the new seals on that surface. Will it cause leaking? Suggestions appreciated. The area circled is actually the top of the housing.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

jimynick

Most of the sealing is done by the inner seals and since that's actually on the top, I'd give the new seal a skin of Right Stuff and put 'er in. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

MoparLeo

An 8 3/4" Rear axle actually has 2 seals.
The inner seal is an oil seal for the differential fluid.
The outer seal is a grease seal for the tapered axle bearings and they must be manually repacked with grease regularly to be serviced properly. font]
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

dodj

Quote from: MoparLeo on April 27, 2022, 08:02:52 PM
tapered axle bearings and they must be manually repacked with grease regularly to be serviced properly. font]
I must have drove my car for 10 years before I realized this. :o
How often do you figure repacking is required?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7212Mopar

I think it really depends on how much driving you do and if it is leaking. Likely change diff oil more often than repack the bearings with new grease. I recall from the mechanic I used to work with in HS, he repack the front bearings on every brake pad replacement job he did. That was in the early 80s where these cars were prevalent.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Bullitt-

Quote from: dodj on April 28, 2022, 04:03:01 AM
Quote from: MoparLeo on April 27, 2022, 08:02:52 PM
tapered axle bearings and they must be manually repacked with grease regularly to be serviced properly. font]
I must have drove my car for 10 years before I realized this. :o
How often do you figure repacking is required?
You got my curiosity up so I went to my '73 Factory Service Manual... In the first section, Lubrication & Maintenance on the last page in the last section they list "Parts Requiring No Lubrication". Among them, Rear Axle Bearings.  In section 3, Rear Axle, they state bearings only need to be repacked if the seal needs to be replaced.
   I'd say If you have already serviced the bearings don't worry about them until there is some reason to go into the axle.  :alan2cents:   
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

dodj

Quote from: Bullitt- on April 28, 2022, 08:27:05 PM
   I'd say If you have already serviced the bearings don't worry about them until there is some reason to go into the axle.  :alan2cents:
:bigthumb: I can do that.
Last I did it was a couple years ago when replacing the differential.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

MoparLeo

The point is and the fact is that 90% of the people who own an 8 3/4 or 9 3/4' differential have probably NEVER serviced the rear axle bearings.
Front wheel bearings saw regular servicing because they were removed anytime the front drums were removed.
The rear drums were not mounted to a hub so the bearings were never even seen.. If you are removing the axle to replace the inner seal, why wouldn't you inspect the rear bearing since it is going to be out already ??
If you repack the rear bearings what does it cost you besides a little time ?
The Service Manual states that anytime the axles are removed, the inner seal and outer gaskets MUST be replaced.
This is the only good time you will be cleaning and inspecting the bearings for wear or contamination.
Or you can wait to be reminded when you hear a noise .....
Being cheap can be very expensive..
Isn't it better to wash and wax your car more often than it really needs it than to wait too long..?
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...