Main Menu

Axle bearing question

Started by drew43a, August 15, 2020, 07:25:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

drew43a

Ok i got third member out and axles and cleaning everything up. waiting on axle seals and third member from Dr Diff. on tuesday.

my question is on the axles.  is there only one bearing adjuster? i have one on the passenger side but not driver side. see photos.  is this correct?

7212Mopar

Adjuster at passenger side only. I would wire wheel to clean the rust and build up prior to assembly.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

drew43a

Thanks  as you can see its pretty rust free and turns easy so i'm good to go.  do you know the proper procedure for tightening it?  thanks again :handshake:

Chryco Psycho

I pack the brgs with grease as they do not have any other lubrication , then I sung the adjuster tight & tap the axle ends with a hammer to make sure the brgs are fully seated & tighten again , basically back off 1 tooth & that should give you .010 end play

RUNCHARGER

I use a CV joint fitting on the grease gun to make greasing them easier on the axle.
Sheldon

anlauto

Are you putting new outer axle seals in, or only new inner axle seals ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

drew43a

i bought new inner seals from dr diff and the one photo shows after i greased it by  putting it on finger tips and pushing it in  for like 10 mins around and around. i was going to ask about the outer seal. i have some gas and oil resistant gasket material that is .031 "  thick  could and should i make new ones from that material?

anlauto

I wasn't referring to the outer flange gaskets, I was referring to the outer seal. It's between the bearing and the retainer plate. The bearings have to be removed in order to replace.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

From Dr. Diff's website you can see the two seals here:

drew43a

OHHH  i didnt realize there was one in there. thats another whole ball of wax.