Main Menu

833 reverse lights wiring

Started by 303 Mopar, April 14, 2017, 06:44:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Installing my first 833 in an e-body and I am not sure how the reverse light wiring is connected.  There is a round two connection female that I'm pretty sure goes on the transmission.  The other end has a larger two prong plug and a pigtail smaller connection.
Does anyone know how to route this and where these plug into?  Pictures would be a huge help too!

Chryco Psycho

the square plug goes into the bulkhead , remove the one for the automatic , two wires go to the trans  & the single wires goes to the start solinoid , the other wire from the start relay goes to the clutch switch or it can be grounded or you can use a brake light switch as I have doe before

Cuda Cody

Chryco Psycho

Glad to but no pix obviously  :bricks:

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

303 Mopar

Wiring in the reverse light harness and indicator.  It looks like the black connector goes from the neutral safety switch on the transmission to #7-8 on the bulkhead and the pigtail connector goes to the separate wire through the firewall (has a grommet on it). 

So that leaves the white connector that looks like a lamp connector (?) with the spring?  Where does this go?  Also, does anyone know how the 1 wire from the reverse indicator hook into the harness connector coming through the firewall?

Cuda Cody

The white one should be to the bulkhead, right?

The light goes through a hole... that I think it near the brake booster.   :thinking: 

Cuda Cody

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 18, 2017, 08:53:16 AM

The light goes through a hole... that I think it near the brake booster.   :thinking:

Yes, the large white connector goes to #7-8 on the bulkhead and the pigtail connects to the harness in the 2nd pic through the firewall as that has the grommet. 

My question is the other end of that wire has a small white connector with a spring.  Where does that go?  Also, where does the 1 wire from the reverse light indicator go?

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 303 Mopar on May 18, 2017, 09:29:59 AM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 18, 2017, 08:53:16 AM

Yes, the large white connector goes to #7-8 on the bulkhead and the pigtail connects to the harness in the 2nd pic through the firewall as that has the grommet. 

My question is the other end of that wire has a small white connector with a spring.  Where does that go?  Also, where does the 1 wire from the reverse light indicator go?
[/quote
In the second picture the wire with the grommet on it. The black connector goes into the gray connector just outside the firewall. The other end gets a bulb and goes into reverse light housing. You won't be using that wire that's in the reverse lens housing now. It's generic junk. On my car the reverse harness goes through the firewall just above the 2 gas pedal studs. Mine is a 71 so it may be different location for 70 if that matters to you.

Shane Kelley

This is how the wiring should route to the reverse light switch on transmission.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 18, 2017, 09:49:09 AM
The other end gets a bulb and goes into reverse light housing. You won't be using that wire that's in the reverse lens housing now. It's generic junk.

This answers my question, thank you @Shane Kelley!!   :banana:

Cuda Cody

Shane, I think I want to marry your engine.      :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: