Main Menu

A833 Transmission leak

Started by usraptor, July 21, 2021, 03:13:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway just to verify.  When I bought my '70 Cuda in 2009 it had been in storage since 1983.  The transmission had been rebuilt in 1983 and came with
a box of old trans parts so I installed it and crossed my fingers.  It operates perfectly however it leaks from where the shift rods exit the case as shown by the red circles in the attached pics. (BTW, not my trans, file pic.)  It appears to me that the seals for these shift rods have to be replaced from inside the case.  Is this correct?  I really hate to pull the trans and guts to replace the seals and will probably just live with the leak for now if that's the case.

dodj

The cover seals are no problem.  But the reverse lever seal means removing EVERYTHING inside the case.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

The original 833 Non overdrive the seals are replaced from inside , the later OD versions can be replaced from outside due to a design change .
DODJ is correct to service the reverse shift lever seal the whole trans has to be disassembled .

usraptor

Thank you.  Is a 1970 the new or older design?

Mrbill426

Sounds like if yours is not an overdrive transmission it is a "old" design.

Quote from: usraptor on July 22, 2021, 06:49:03 AM
Thank you.  Is a 1970 the new or older design?

usraptor

Thanks I should have read it more carefully because I knew mine is not any overdrive trans.  Guess I'll just live with the leaks until I need to replace the clutch or something else.  :wrenching:

headejm

Have you considered any kind of stop leak additive? I don't have any direct experience but it couldn't hurt to try one.

https://gobdp.com/blog/can-stop-standard-transmission-leak/

usraptor

To be honest, no I haven't.  I've always considered stop leak additives to pretty much be snake oil in the past.  But I guess I've got nothing to lose.  I'll take a closer look at this stuff.  Thanks for the suggestion. :bigthumb:

Jim AAR

I'm pretty sure that you can change the seals in the 1/2  & 3/4 shift levers without dismantling the entire transmission or removing it from the car.

You have to remove the side case cover and pull it off, remove the forks, remove the detent ball, pin, sleeve and spring, pull the levers out and replace the seal.

The cover comes off completely and you can do the above and change the seals on the bench instead of under the car if you want.

You should replace the gasket on the cover as well when reinstalling.

The bottom (Reverse) lever seal requires the removal and dismantling of the entire transmission.

See the 833 exploded view on page 954 & 955 and the instructions on page 952 (section 21-76) in the 1970 Plymouth Service manual.

usraptor

Thanks Jim.  I'll check it out.   :twothumbsup:

dodj

Quote from: usraptor on July 22, 2021, 09:18:31 AM
Guess I'll just live with the leaks until I need to replace the clutch or something else.  :wrenching:
That's what I'm doing. The reverse seal on mine drips a little bit.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill