Main Menu

Air Cleaners

Started by mopar thunder, November 24, 2019, 01:32:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

My wifes car is running an Air Gap intake with a Street Avenger 670 carb. What after market air cleaner do you use?

Wayne

My engine builder suggested Wix racing for the oil.  They also make air filters in their racing line which is what I plan to use. 

The other side is reusable filters such as k/n.  They aren't cheap but in theory will last a long time.  I have read some reports with testing on them that showed they never flow as well after they are cleaned and re oiled by the user.
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

Chryco Psycho

as big as will fit , drop base 3" if possible with e filter top , K&N or similar

cudabob496

K&N oil filters filter as small as 10 microns. WIX only filter down to 20 microns.

A micron is 1/1000 of a millimeter, or 1 millioneth of a meter.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

mopar thunder

It has a drop base on it but needs a spacer to lift it up because of carb bowl interference. Here are pics of it. The adjustment screw sits above the carb flange. I think even if it did sit down on it the throttle mechanism would hit or the electric choke. Not sure what base will work. I would like to put a spacer on because of the starting issue (assuming it is vapor lock from fuel heating up).

cudaragtop

Mopar Oval 440/340 single 4 bbl Air Cleaner on my LD340 Intake.
Quick Fuel 650 Double Pumper.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

cudabob496

I milled 3/8 inch off top of my M1 intake.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Scooter

I've used the drop base air cleaners before when having hood clearance issues. They work.. but... I don't like having the clearance between the top of the cleaner and carb intake so small. Seems too restrictive to me. Been using the Edelbrock Pro-Flow and have been very happy with it. Performs well... looks good and makes accessing the carb and linkage real easy. Cant testify as to how well it actually filters.. but the element is washable replacements are dollars.

My2c.  :bigthumb:

cudabob496

That pro-flow design has got some very negative reviews.

Scooter

Where? Personal experience has been good for me.

Brads70

I had one of those years ago, carb backfired and it caught fire......

Scooter

Quote from: Brads70 on December 01, 2019, 07:32:04 PM
I had one of those years ago, carb backfired and it caught fire......

No doubt a fireball coming up from the carb could ruin your day if the filter element caught fire. Has never happened to me.. the element catching fire that is. Had plenty of carb backfires in my day.. lost arm hair and all that good stuff. That said.. once the motor is dialed in these filters have worked great for me. Really prefer these to the drop base setups.

cudabob496

Quote from: Scooter on December 01, 2019, 06:24:53 PM

any time I saw an air filter comparison, it was ranked worse

cudabob496

There are many things that can hurt your engine, or hurt your performance, that you would
be unaware of based on personal experience, until it was too late. Best to research stuff
a lot. Knowledge is power. "To be old and wise, one must first be young and stupid"

Scooter

Quote from: cudabob496 on December 02, 2019, 12:25:36 AM

There are many things that can hurt your engine, or hurt your performance, that you would
be unaware of based on personal experience, until it was too late. Best to research stuff
a lot. Knowledge is power. "To be old and wise, one must first be young and stupid"

True that. But I did not just fall off the cabbage truck yesterday. Been turning screw on old cars since the 80's. Worst I've heard is a carb backfire possibly causing the element to catch fire. Never seen one ignite myself or know anyone this has happened to. I'm thinking this is a pretty isolated event. File under "possible".

Other complaint was the filter element gets brittle when old and could get sucked into motor. Can't fix stupid. These entire filter assemblies cost less than $30 for the whole enchilada new. If people are not smart enough to invest seven bucks every few years on a new filter element...  they might want to rethink their classic car investment.  ;)

I did read some time back Holly did testing on these performance wise and it matched the stock GM 14". Seat of pantelones "testing" I've performed says I have not lost anything on that score, if anything it feels more responsive. Could be placebo.. but I feel like it was a solid $30 well spent at this point. If you have research that says otherwise please share.. I'd love to read it.

MY2C.