Main Menu

AMK C-8087 Motor Mount fastener set issues - not recommended!

Started by moparroy, June 05, 2022, 06:20:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

Back last fall there was a post here about hard to find MM bolts and nuts. I reported at the time I was planning to get mine from AMK which I did in a C-8087 kit.
I got to the point of MM installation last week and was very very disappointed.  :thumbdown: Torque spec for these bolts is 55 ft lbs per the FSM and was the same for I believe all V8s with sandwich mount and I believe all years. So I go to torque down the first set and after a bit I get the feeling this is soft. So I get out my beam type wrench to measure where I am at. I was below 50 at that point and from there the nuts (AMK B-11506) stripped. Try a second one - same crap. I picked the stripped threads out of one bolt and sent the attached to AMK and asked for a refund. Note the "damage" to the washers - they are way soft too (AMK B-11293). It took them some 5 days to respond - I had given up - they asked for some additional info. Last correspondence from them on Friday says they got info from their supplier that these are grade "B" nuts and should be torqued no more than 34 ft lbs and offered to send me a replacement. I wrote back today and told him to keep his crap - and give me my money back - although I am not holding my breath. I told him the spec for this is 55 ft lbs SAE grade 5 nut and bolt and they had sold a product as equivalent to a Chrysler part when it clearly is not. I don't think they should be quoting anything other than SAE for automotive fasteners and find it ridiculous that they would suggest its ok to use an under spec'd nut at a lower torque. There is a reason fine thread was chosen here and added clamping force could be one - and with those butter soft washers a lower torque I would expect over time through minor movement of the mount would further erode the washer thickness and cause a loose mount - but that's just my opinion.
I had one other minor issue with AMK on a previous order which they made good on - but if I don't get my money back on this they will become my last resort supplier for fasteners.
Anyone else had issues with AMK?

anlauto

I just recently started buying hardware from AMK not being able to get to Carlisle for the past two years, I was running pretty low.
Although I'm just buying bulk hardware and not their kits, I'll certainly keep this in mind...thank you...

However, you are the first person I've known to be worried about torqueing every fastener to spec   :twothumbsup: talk about being anal :haha: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparroy

Everything else I have bought was bulk and no quality issues on other stuff - this was the first "kit" I bought as well - just cause it was a few buck cheaper than buying the pieces separately. Though I had initially identified a different washer - little would I have thought the washer would be an issue.
And you're certainly not the first to call me detailed or anal  :)) - maybe that's why its taken me 20 years to get here.  :haha:

moparroy

I guess I made my case - got notice of refund issued today - so again they made good on it. Wait till I see it on my card to say thanks.

One of the reasons I always look for specific or generic torque levels is historically I have been known to over tighten to breaking point. The one torque spec I use selectively (ie almost not at all) is a torque to yield - like 45 ft lbs plus 1/4 turn. Only an issue on later models starting sometime in 80s - maybe when they switched to metric
In theory to me TTY is only good once so has no place on something like a ball joint (2010 charger / challenger - apparently Mercedes likes it). My first experience with that was 2.2 head bolts - 10mm ones are junk and can only really be used once. I upgraded my '85 to 11 mm (which came into production '86 same thread density fortunately) and have adopted a 95 ft lbs torque on them - never had an issue on 2.2 turbo , 3.3 or 3.8. Don't think I ever replaced one either - but I have a used supply if needed.

anlauto

That's great to hear they stand behind there stuff  :twothumbsup:

Being detailed oriented is a good thing  :drinkingbud:

Can't wait to check out your car one day.. :slapme5:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration