Main Menu

antifreeze and aluminum pump housing

Started by mopar jack, November 06, 2019, 05:53:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar jack

What antifreeze should I use with an aluminum pump and housing? I'm building a spare 440 for my 71 road runner and will be mostly stock and cast iron except for the water  pump and housing. Also do you locktite bolts and what happens to torque values on the bolts?

Chryco Psycho

any good quality AF is good with Alum as most engines at least have alum heads now , a sacrificial anode is a great idea as well

mopar jack

Since I have 3 newer mopars that use the HOAT formula antifreeze I'll probably use that in the 440. Any suggestions on locktite. I want to make sure the 4 pump bolts are secured correctly. I have short headed bolts but I don't have the nylock style the factory used.

Chryco Psycho

I just use Locktite brand , , Blue should be fine

mopar jack

Thanks Chryco, I don't have a lot of experience with fastening aluminum. I always used anti-seize on bolt threads.

YellowThumper

I have added aluminum radiator to several of my old cars and have found this to be superior.
They sit for extended times and I never see evidence of corrosion in them. With Prestone,  seeing corrosion in cap was almost immediate when sitting.

Will be adding the anode soon just to have more insurance.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

mopar jack

I like the anode idea. Where will you install it?

YellowThumper

I purchased one and will just replace the radiator drain with it. Not as convenient as petcock but ok.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

ToxicWolf

Quote from: YellowThumper on November 07, 2019, 10:47:43 AM
I purchased one and will just replace the radiator drain with it. Not as convenient as petcock but ok.

I did the same thing with my aluminum engine.  :wave:

mopar jack

I was thinking this spare port on the housing would work.

cudabob496

Yes, that should work. I'm not sure that placing one on the radiator will protect
the engine. Gotta think about this. I have one on my engine, and one on my radiator.
Also, check anode initially every six months, as corrosion build up on anode may make it
hard to remove from its location.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.