Main Menu

Any tips on sealing Valve Covers on a small block?

Started by Cudajason, August 11, 2019, 07:25:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

I am running a pair of cast aluminium valve covers on my small block and have a persistent leak on the back corner of the pass side. It drips down onto the exhaust pipe and makes a mess.

Any tips on getting this to seal up.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Burdar

The problem area on a SB that I've found is on the inside at the intake. The stock covers are notched to clear the intake. The aluminum covers will hit and not seal. Check there for interference. You can clearance the covers and double up the gaskets to raise them up a little. If you are running non adjustable rockers, a little silicone doesn't hurt.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

autoxcuda

Quote from: Burdar on August 11, 2019, 07:34:32 AM
The problem area on a SB that I've found is on the inside at the intake. The stock covers are notched to clear the intake. The aluminum covers will hit and not seal. Check there for interference. You can clearance the covers and double up the gaskets to raise them up a little. If you are running non adjustable rockers, a little silicone doesn't hurt.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Yes.

And also run the grey MP valve covers. Fixed my issues.

Also look for casting flaws on the head where the gasket sits.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Chryco Psycho

1 Wild R/T

Snug the bolts, don't over do it, but come back the next day and snug them again, you'll find after a day they compress... Try it again a couple days later, you'll likely get another half turn..

jimynick

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 11, 2019, 11:03:23 PM
Right Stuff sealant  :bigthumb:
That should do it alright, but God help you getting them off again! LOL :cheers:
I'm sure somebody makes a gasket with torque limiting buttons in the gasket so that you don't squeeze the bejeezus out of them and cause a leak.
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Johnny Mac

Felpro 1646.  Best gaskets i have ever owned, and the ONLY ones i have ever gotten to seal.

They are a Cork-like material, but they have a steel core.  Both sides of the steel have a gasket affixed, thus making them about double thickness.  I have had everything from cheap tin, to fabbed aluminum to cast aluminum valve covers, and these are the only gaskets i found worked on all of them, and great.  i have had them on my drag car for probably 6 years, and they are OIL SOAKED from my valve lash adjustments and they STILL seal...
my 2 cents!

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/fel-1646/overview/

Shane Kelley

I have really good luck with these. I glue them to my aluminum valve covers with weatherstrip adhesive and let them sit all night with the bolts sitting in the holes to keep them aligned. Well made gaskets and don't stick to the heads so you can remove and install the covers hassle free. I run these on both my 340's and they never leak. When I pull my covers and look at the gaskets I see a nice impression of the head and can clearly see 100% contact all the way around. 

chargerdon

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 11, 2019, 11:03:23 PM
Right Stuff sealant  :bigthumb:

I agree with using "the right stuff" sealant.   It worked for me..put it on both sides.

Also, I have the aluminum Mopar Performance and they do squarely contact the intact manifold (edlebrock RPM Air gap), so file a little off to allow better clearance.   

YellowThumper

As many have already stated. Make sure they are not contacting the intake runner ports.
Mine did.
Did...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

bc3j

Also used 'right stuff'. Seven years for me no leaks. Big block with stock valve covers.

E74cuda

gzig5

Went through this recently with new aluminum covers. Old covers sealed fine. New ones leaked like a sieve because the lip wasn't clearanced for the aftermarket intake runners.  Ten minutes with the grinder and the regular Fel-Pro cork gaskets seal fine.  I used black RTV to hold the gaskets to the covers but nothing on the head side.

Cudajason

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Just to respond to a few points.

The valve covers are notched to clear the intake and I conformed they are not touching it.

I am using the FelPro gaskets that are basically cork impregnated with rubber and have cinched everything down a few times.

It sounds like I need to grab sum of the Right Stuff sealant and see if that helps, if not maybe try some different gaskets.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudakiller70

FWIW There is a thread talking about this same issue and to be sure that your valve cover bolts will go in the head all the way and not bottoming out early.