Main Menu

Anyone have a Big Block that DOES NOT OVERHEAT at Idle in hot weather?

Started by Banana, July 15, 2021, 05:34:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Banana

Mrbill426

Yeah it is out of the shroud quite a ways; looks like you have a lot of room in front of it to experiment.

Quote from: Banana on July 17, 2021, 07:42:51 AM
Adding some pix. I read that the fan must be 30 to 50% into the shroud to be effective. Looks like mine may be borderline 30%, or even less. Using all stock components.

Please confirm the 30 to 50% overlap standard, and if you guys see any parts not looking correct. Maybe the report shroud is a bit short? Pulley?

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

MoparLeo

You say it "overheats" at idle. What exactly does that mean ? Have you checked the temperature with an actual gauge that reads the temp in degrees ? Used an infrared gun ? And the fan blades should be covered by the shroud.
Are you trying to keep everything factory stock looking ?? 
Keep in mind that the fuel octane and quality are not what they were back when these cars were new.
Todays engines will run hotter than they did back then regardless.
It would not be unusual for a properly functioning, stock type cooling system ( Stock core, 195 thermostat, 16 lb. cap. properly functioning fan clutch and factory fan blade assembly, shroud, normal timing and jetting, cam, compression etc... ) to idle at/over 200 degrees. Depending on the altitude, and ambient outside temps. Naturally hotter in Summer months than Winter.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Banana

Thanks guys. I'll get the fan/shroud corrected, then get an accurate temp gauge to see where it ends up.