Main Menu

Anyone here do dizzy rebuilds and recurving?...Plug wires!

Started by kawahonda, August 22, 2018, 12:58:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

I have an "acquaintance" that is known to do damn good re-curves that I have used before, but not so much of a fan of his personality.

With my current dizzy, I am only able to obtain 8 BTDC @ 2700 elevation with 91 octane (max I can get around here) to not have any pinging @ WOT. I figured a good re-curve would allow me to increase my initial advance to get me setup for future upgrades. I have not checked my total advance yet (digital timing light is on the way), but can certainly do this.

I also would like whomever to also install a Petronix kit. I don't mind points that much, but bending over to the backside of the engine to adjust them is a bit of a pain. Might as well do the conversation during the re-curve.

The dizzy right now is an OEM Chrysler Challenger single-point dizzy. It has a brand new Mopar brown cap and brand new point/condenser. The goal is to keep the stock look.

If you have the chops and are interested in doing this for me, send me a PM and let me know the details. I'm probably looking to do this during the fall. Maybe October-Novemberish.

I am keeping my car very streetable whilst aiming my sights on landing conformable in the 13s. So that's my end-game goal.

Curious after a re-curve what my BTDC could be set to. I also do not want to go over 91 Octane. Goes against "streetable".

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Cuda Cody

Have you consider switching to electronic ignition and using a product like the Rev-N-Nator?  Electronic ignition is pretty dependable and it's easier then points, IMO.  There's lots of good electronic distributors out there, but I like the Rev-N-Nator because it has the ability to set a rev limiter. 

kawahonda

Hi Cuda,

I believe that Petronix is electronic, correct? That is something that I would like to have installed mainly because it's hidden. And I can still use the stock brown cap. I believe there's a petronix kit that comes with a rev limiter as well.

floorit426

I put a full FBO system, on my hemi, replacing the chrome box. Don recurved the distributor, making it much more streetable, with no detectable power loss. He also installed the advance limiter, which is a pretty slick item. I'd recommend them.

Topcat

Quote from: floorit426 on August 22, 2018, 07:01:10 PM
I put a full FBO system, on my hemi, replacing the chrome box. Don recurved the distributor, making it much more streetable, with no detectable power loss. He also installed the advance limiter, which is a pretty slick item. I'd recommend them.

This is what you need to re curve the initial advance.
I still have it for sale.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/parts-for-sale/9/fbo-ignition-limiter-advance-plate/7112/

It was an extra that I had.

They work really well and are easy to drop in.

nsmall

:iagree:

Cheap way to make the correction.  FBO sells a spring kit for like $10 and between the springs and the plate you can buy from him, there is lots of adjustment you can do for cheap.  I didnt need the plate as my distributor was adjustable.  Check to see if your distributor is adjustable before buying the plate.  @Chryco Psycho helped me and my car runs WAY better now.  My curve was way too long before making the adjustment, my springs where too light, now the car runs so strong its crazy to think how much better it runs. 

kawahonda

Not interested in doing it myself. Looking for a plug and play service that someone can do on the forum! Dizzys are not my speciality..I'll be busy with other planned things comcurrently.

tman

I can vouch for the Rev n Nator + the Firecore distribtutor.  My engine never ran better till I installed this combo.  This dist looks pretty much stock with tan cap.  I used to have the MP adjustable dist and chrome box.  My engine used to be sluggish on take off.  Thought it was carb related or ignition.  Tried all types of adjustments on the Dist, but never was satisfied.  Then I hear about the Rev unit and dist combo.  All I had to do was add the heavier springs.  Any other spring combo it would ping.  Ping is all gone and its ever so easier to burn rubber.  Hesitation was eliminated.  This is plug/play.  Now if you don't want the ECU box, then this will not work for you if you want to hide the electronic ignition.  If you do want to hide the ecu, there is a mount that can be purchased or you can make so it can mount on the valley pan sealing bracket behind the intake.  Here is the info

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-Big-Block-ECU-Bracket-PROBLEM-SOLVER-Dodge-383-440-DRILL-NO-HOLES-68-69-70/232781175189?hash=item3632d6d995:g:CtIAAOxyVLNSxwM-

Topcat

FBO is the only ignition box I know that uses solid state electronics. FWIW

MSD-No
Rev N Nator-No
Mopar Performance-No

Aar1064

Jeff at Advanced Distributors re-curved my dual point and I couldn't be happier. I'm running points but he will also install a Pertronix setup. He asks that you download and fill out the recurve sheet as it will tell him what he needs to know in order to recurve it correctly.

Great guy and knows his stuff.

http://advanceddistributors.com/wordpress1/

kawahonda

Cool. About how much was your recurve from Jeff? assume he also send it back looking brand new?

kawahonda

So now I guess I'm caught between two choices.

Go with a full Rev-N-Ator setup...including new dizzy and coil..and conversion harness.

Or have someone (like mentioned on the thread) convert mine and do the whole recurving thing and at a petronix.

A full Rev-n-ator setup is going to be about $450 + shipping. Does my car have a mounting area for the ECU box or will that require drilling if I wanted to attach to the firewall?

Having mine current single-point dizzy converted to electronic, curved, etc would probably cost $250ish.

Is it worth the extra $200 to get the Rev-n-ator setup? Is there a $200 performance difference? Certainly don't want to be leaving ponies on the table...

I may do this sooner rather than later because yep, not being able to go past 9 BTDC initial does create some quick throttle hesitation under load. Currently, I feel like I'm leaving lots of performance on the table.

Basically, is it worth converting this mopar single-point dizzy in the long run...and it can perform like the others....or is it one of those things that it will "never" perform as good as a new dizzy?

70Barracuda

Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

Topcat

:iagree:

I know @Chryco Psycho will debate it.

But @floorit426 & I have been running his boxes for over 3 years without any issues.
5 year warranty.

We have a ton of  :bigmoney: into these Hemi's so we aren't putting just any ol' trash in them. 

BTW, his system is a plug & play drop in if you buy it all at once.