Main Menu

B body rear housing

Started by 73chalngr, March 15, 2020, 08:38:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

73chalngr

How much better is it to have a 65 to 67 housing compared to 68 to 70 ?  The perches are the same but drum to drum is 5/8 shorter so 5/16 a side .

HP2

No better or worse. The ONLY benefit of the B body housing is no need to weld on perches. That's it. Only the backspace of the rims you use are impacted by the overall width.  For that matter, the stock E housing with relocated springs and seats is equally great.

73chalngr

Thanks for the reply.  That small of a difference l did not think it would matter.

gzig5

I have a '66 B rear end waiting to go in. I justified my selection over the later one by telling myself that the rear wheel will support a bigger lip for a given backspace.  I like a wide lip.  Stupid, but that's what I told myself.  It also just so happened that the 66 was the first one I came upon at the swap meet.  I think it really is a horse apiece unless you have a specific wheel backspacing you are targeting.

HP2

With a 15x10 wheel, using 65-67 housing will allow 5" backspace, 68-70 will use a 5.5" backspace. Keeping the E housing with the relocated springs will necessitate a 5.75 backspace.