Main Menu

Bellhousing run-out measurement

Started by Challenger in NC, May 29, 2017, 03:54:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Challenger in NC

Does this bellhousing require the use of offset dowels? I believe the highest value during this rotation was 0.006". At first it was very difficult to adjust the arm and lock it in to get zero after 360 degrees of rotation. After some careful adjustment and tightening, readings were basically repeatable over several cycles.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136412204@N03/34590108650/in/album-72157681347564374/

Cuda Cody

I'm curious to hear what people say on this on.   :popcorn:  I really do not know for sure and look forward to learning.   :pixiepop:

GoodysGotaCuda

Between 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock looks to be your biggest variance, from 0.000" to 0.006". Divide that delta by two, 0.003" and I'd say you are good.

I'd hold off for a second opinion, however.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Brads70

I'd say you are ok. That's only .0025" out of center.  Just for kicks loosen the bolts and with a rubber hammer  smack it to see if it will move to improve. I'll bet it will.

Challenger in NC

OK, thanks. I'll see if I can get the readings a little closer before it gets assembled with the clutch. After the clutch gets installed, I guess you just have to tap it in a certain direction, tighten everything up and hope it's where you want it.

The aluminum housing is nice because it's light, but there is literally no room to get even a thin wall socket on the bolt because the head is so close to the casing in several places on the one I have.

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
You are very close to perfect & a tap may take it closer  :bradsthumb:

Challenger in NC

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 29, 2017, 06:41:12 PM
:iagree:
You are very close to perfect & a tap may take it closer  :bradsthumb:

Thanks, I'll do that.