Main Menu

NEED HELP !! with a measurement please**UPDATE**

Started by anlauto, December 20, 2019, 07:48:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

This is a true story....I have a customer with an original 1971 340 4spd Cuda w/added N96 shaker hood....I was signed on awhile ago to do a "stock" restoration, but the owner was going to handle a few things on his own.....One of the things was to have the stock 340 built but with a little HP upgrades....Hey...why not...everybody wants to go faster.... :twothumbsup:

This entire engine build was done with zero consultation with me....This is what has shown up... :rubeyes: Other then, I guess I'm now adding AC to the car....my first concern is with the height of the fuel injection throttle body compared to a stock intake/carb set-up because of course the shaker hood.

If someone out there has a beautiful restored and correctly detailed 1971 340, with the factory correct intake manifold and carburetor just mounted to a K Frame, just sitting idle in their work shop  ;)  and if they wouldn't mind laying a flat bar across the top of the carb and measure down to the timing chain cover.....that would greatly be appreciated :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

Sorry I cannot help with the measurement but I'm pretty sure there is a problem in your future . . . I think adding the AC is not as large a problem as your height issue . .

Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

blown motor

Wow! That's a wicked looking engine. Alan, I have a 73 block 340 in my 74 with stock intake and an Eddy. I can measure it if that will help you.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

WOW, that's a cool engine.  It does look like it might be a little to tall to fit.

Shane Kelley

I f no one chimes in I can get you the measurement from the bottom of the intake to top of the carb tomorrow. My stock intake and carb are sitting on a shelf. That should tell you what you need to know. It's going to take some serious fabrication to get that shaker to sit right on that motor. I'm guessing your about 1 1/2" taller now. I'm also wondering if the center point is the same.

blown motor

@anlauto , from the top of my carb to the top of the timing chain cover is 8 3/4".
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Daveh

I'm not home to take the measurements but I converted mine to a shaker hood also.  I had to purchase special A/C brackets from bouchillon Performance to lower the A/C compressor to fit under the shaker.  I also purchased the lowest Edelbrock intake that I could to fit with my Edelbrock Thunder series carb.  It all fits, I have a small amount of wiggle room but not a lot.  I'm on the interior and electrical right now.  Finishing up the engine bay will be next.   Good luck

Dave

RUNCHARGER

You haven't felt all the pain yet. IMO the stock aircleaner base won't play nicely with the top of the Fitech either. It didn't with the Hemi anyway. Hope you can weld and shape metal.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 20, 2019, 01:11:22 PM
You haven't felt all the pain yet. IMO the stock aircleaner base won't play nicely with the top of the Fitech either. It didn't with the Hemi anyway. Hope you can weld and shape metal.

My guy is pretty good at shaping metal  :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

@76orangewagon do you think you could take a measurement off of your engine for me ? If you don't want to remove the shaker, I understand, maybe a measurement from the timing chain cover up to the bottom of the shaker ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated  :) :drinkingbud:

76orangewagon

Quote from: anlauto on December 21, 2019, 07:45:56 AM
@76orangewagon do you think you could take a measurement off of your engine for me ? If you don't want to remove the shaker, I understand, maybe a measurement from the timing chain cover up to the bottom of the shaker ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated  :) :drinkingbud:
with the shaker base on measuring through the warm air door is 7 3/4" from the top water pump boss on the housing to the bottom of the shaker base (see pics with arrow). Putting a straight edge off the carb to the flat part of the water pump housing (again see pics) is 8". If you need more or something different let me know

anlauto

Those pictures are fantastic, thank you very much for taking the time this afternoon. :worship: :cheers:

76orangewagon

So it looks like that engine would out the shaker set up 1" higher than stock.

anlauto

Thank you again....I haven't tried the shaker base on the EFI unit yet, but I  think if it's only 1"- 1 1/4"...I can work with that....Visually it looks more like 3" which had me worried....

anlauto

Okay, so it's been a week since I asked this question..... :tired:

...and today I finally got around to bolting the unmodified shaker base on to the EFI unit ...

AND IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRICLE   :andyangel:  :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Compared to the awesome pictures provided by @76orangewagon, thank you again....

Check out the measurements :takealook: :unbelievable: :clapping: :banana: :banana: :banana: