Main Menu

Best Alum, heads to use on 408 Stroker

Started by signsgonebye, March 31, 2019, 03:30:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

signsgonebye

Looking for some opinions on the best alum heads to use on a 408 stroker?

Chryco Psycho

Well The best Alum head would be the Mopar W8 or W9 but you need a different R3 or Ritter block . See Mopar thunders thread .
So lets back up a bit I assume it is a stock 360 LA block ?
What is the intended use ? what are you using behind it for trans & diff / gear ?
I still believe the W2 / W5 heads amke the best power on a small block , the ones I have built are crazy powerful , th problem is cost as you will need special intake , rockers & valve covers . the W2 are Iron , W5 are the same head in alum 

7212Mopar

Trick flow came out with their new small block aluminum heads.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Chryco Psycho

I have not seen a set but Trick Flow should be a great choice as well .

ledphoot

Max effort racer or street car? How much HP / Torque are you shooting for? Pump gas? What cam? Here is an article on SB Mopar heads..

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-1303-cylinder-heads-light-headed/

I built a 500HP SB stroker using ported Edelbrock RPM heads.

signsgonebye

I am running a street car 70 Cuda, I want min.  550 HP, going to run a roller cam 727 Trans. and a 8 3/4 rear  on pump gas which everyone says 10:1 is max on pump gas

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

signsgonebye

gzig5

For 550hp in a 408 I think something that flows in the 265 - 280cfm range on  the intakes at max lift should get you there with a decent cam.  That would include lightly massaged W2 (steel) or W5 or any of the W7-W9, well ported Edelbrock or import Speedmaster heads, ProMaxx Shocker 185 CNC, soon to be available Trick Flow SBM.  Each of these have pros and cons and may or may not be ready out of the box or may need to be sent out to get the performance required.

HP2

Quote from: signsgonebye on April 01, 2019, 07:06:14 AM
I am running a street car 70 Cuda, I want min.  550 HP, going to run a roller cam 727 Trans. and a 8 3/4 rear  on pump gas which everyone says 10:1 is max on pump gas

Cylinder pressure is a better measure of pump gas compatibility than static compression ratio. Pistons, heads, stroke, cam events, and altitude of operation all factor into this equation.  Good explanation of it here: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-1302-tech-pump-gas-power/

ledphoot

550HP is going to take good flowing heads, some Cam and RPM to get there. My engine is streetable but I don't know if I'd want much more cam than I am running.

The roller will probabably help you get there and still maintain some manners.

If I were doing this today I'd call Bob Mazzolini Racing, tell them what I want and send the check :) they seem to have the small block stroker down pretty good.