Main Menu

heads for a 383 with stroker kit

Started by GoMangoBoys, January 01, 2020, 04:04:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

The Trick Flows cost more but are worth every penny IMO

70Barracuda

I have come to that reality.  Thanks
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

RUNCHARGER

Great quality, good flow. If they made the ends look stock they'd be perfect. You can buy cheaper heads but they usually need a few bucks spent on them to correct them and you end up spending more than a set of trick flows to start with. The last set of 915's I did ended up costing as much as a set of trickflows, only reason I did them was to look original. I have thought about buying my own cylinder head machines but you still have to buy new valves, springs etc.
Sheldon

70Barracuda

I bought Sidewinders when I started this project.  Throwing more money at them is not a good route.  I'll be looking to sell them.

Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

Blowout

@GoMangoBoys which route did you go on your heads? Happy with them?

Filthy Filbert

I know this is an older thread...

I am a huge fan of aluminum heads.   Cast iron is for old people.  Most modern vehicles have aluminum heads.    Aluminum is lighter and saves weight which helps fuel efficiency, as well as acceleration/braking/handling.   Aluminum has much higher thermal diffusivity so it sheds heat much faster.  Aluminum heads won't boil the coolant and cause your overflow to puke coolant after you shut down the engine. Whereas cast iron holds heat so when coolant flow stops, the heat continues to shift into the coolant and boils over. And in terms of aftermarket, aluminum heads for our old motors are designed to flow way more air than original iron, leading to significant performance gains. 

GoMangoBoys

@Blowout  I bought a set of 906 heads from a local racer.  They are ported and polished.  I had the local shop go over them and freshen everything up.  This has been a slow project since my boy went away to school, so we have not even gotten the engine in the car yet.  I know some think that these are not good heads, but good, bad or otherwise, this is what I did.  We will see how they do when we finally get it in and crank it up.  I bought the stroker kit from Hughes and they designed the cam based on these heads and the resulting compression ratio.

DeathProofCuda

@GoMangoBoys

A bit off topic, but can you provide the specs on the cam that Hughes spec'ed for you?  What will your compression ratio be?  Looks like you are running manifolds and your car is a 4 speed, right?  What gear ratio?  Just curious about the details of your combo.  Will be interested to hear your thoughts on it once the car is up and running.  I'm currently running the original stock stroke 383 with the 906 heads in my 70 Cuda, but always toying with the idea of building a stroker.  :cheers:

Blowout

Sounds like a nice set up.  I will probably run the same heads since I have some already. What compression ratio were you shooting for?  Any cam specs?

Thank you