Main Menu

Best clutch kit for daily driver a833 with od challenger

Started by Purepony, October 18, 2020, 11:35:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Purepony

Hi everyone. I'm looking for the best reasonably priced clutch for a Dodge Challenger with a 360 la stock engine (220hp-275hp)  and a a833 with od 4 speed.

I'm not looking for a 500 dollar plus clutch kit for auto crossing and jumping bridges since I don't need it. The plans to drive the car daily and a few nice take offs here and there but reliability is important.

What's a good priced quality clutch in the 175-250 range and why ? I heard there's some clutch types (diagphram) where you can remove or must remove the spring on the clutch pedal and I prefer to keep the spring. I also have a brand new flywheel I purchased from 440 source.

10.5 23 spline

Thanks everyone

jimynick

Look at the big jobbers initially. Summit sells a McLeod MCL-75109 plate and disc for $183.00 and there's lots of other choices. Having said that, there's also a school of thought that diaphragm clutches are not the best for a Mopar and that the Borg & Beck or Long style units may be a better bet. They're also the original style Mother Mopar put in the cars. Have fun!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Purepony

Thanks for the input
I ended up buying the borg n beck style made by ram
If I want a softer clutch I'll convert to automatic lol

Chryco Psycho

I assume you have the 130 tootth flywheel so the 10.95" clutch fits with no mods & will last longer .
SO I would be buying a 10.95" 3 finger Borg & Beck style clutch , I like Mcleod , but there are others like Ram or Zoom .

anlauto

Quote from: Purepony on October 19, 2020, 09:01:05 PM
Thanks for the input
I ended up buying the borg n beck style made by ram
If I want a softer clutch I'll convert to automatic lol

Ram makes a good clutch, you made a good choice in my opinion. :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Purepony

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 19, 2020, 09:19:42 PM
I assume you have the 130 tootth flywheel so the 10.95" clutch fits with no mods & will last longer .
SO I would be buying a 10.95" 3 finger Borg & Beck style clutch , I like Mcleod , but there are others like Ram or Zoom .

The guy who sold me the trans said get a 10.5 23 spline
So I got that would that suffice ? 130 tooth with balance and no balance option from 440 source

Would the 10.95 have been better ?

Thanks. Still have a lot to learn with these mopars, I've never really done all this on car when I did the t56 I replaced the clutch all lines, throw bearing flywheel it was all ls1 stock nothing to measure put it together and what I was driving in 2 days and no issues and been driving it daily with no probs and over 2000 miles already so excise my dumb questions

Thanks again