Main Menu

New clutch - McLeod, Centerforce or ??

Started by torredcuda, May 21, 2018, 10:09:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

Here's my 2 cents. I absolutely hate stiff B&B pressure plates on the street. Especially when I'm getting to run somebody and my clutch leg gets to shaking from adrenaline. I'm sure some of you know what I mean! Some won't.  Anyway I have run Center Force clutches since the 80's and never had a issue. The early versions were basically a GM spec piece and if you didn't use a pedal stop and pushed it to far to the floor it wouldn't return under high rpm. I'm guessing that's what CP has run into. The later units are specifically built for Mopar and don't require a stop. Just remove the over center spring on the pedal assembly. I'm pushing just shy of 400hp with a 340 and shift at 6400 rpm. Zero issues. The clutch works so good that under hard acceleration and shifting normal it will bark the tire in every gear including 4th.  Obviously I like them. I also heard they discontinued them so supplies may be limited. 

RUNCHARGER

Sp the CF is discoed, the borg and beck is discoed and the hybrid is discoed too? This really sux.
Shane, when waiting to sidestep or drop it I don't even notice the effort!
Sheldon

Shane Kelley

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 25, 2018, 06:47:21 PM
Sp the CF is discoed, the borg and beck is discoed and the hybrid is discoed too? This really sux.
Shane, when waiting to sidestep or drop it I don't even notice the effort!
But on street tires that's only good for smoking the tires off :burnout:  I'm all for that also and do plenty of it. Let's say hypothetically somebody is beside me on the street. Dumping the clutch only gets you a view of tail lights. I prefer to slip the clutch in that situation.

Chryco Psycho

I don't slip the clutch , I either make sure I am the right rpm to hook up or have decent traction

RUNCHARGER

I slip it a bit with street tires too but I don't like doing it. If I figure I have the guy covered I walk it out of course. Automatics are easier to race but not half the fun.
I didn't realize almost all the clutch choices are gone. That's concerning, A $1000 clutch adds a lot to the bill. It cost Greg $10,000CDN to do the changeover 2 years ago going to the dual disc and OD4 speed. If you don't have the time to chase deals on used parts it is getting unrealistic.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I know the owner of McLeod is a Die Hard Mopar guy might be worth contacting him as a group / website & see what can be done ?
The B&B Long was only made by McLeod , no one else ever created that combo .

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-4423-00-04

Looks like they still make the B&B Long for truck pulling / sand drags with non-shift type transmission so maybe that can remake for Mopar.

Chryco Psycho

You could drill the holes in the flywheel & just mount that pressure plate
oddly it is small @ only 10.5 " disc diameter