Main Menu

What clutch?

Started by Todd489, November 21, 2017, 09:52:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Todd489

Ok, so I got 90% of my 4 speed parts,  what would be the best clutch setup,  mcleod? Single or twin disc?  Motor makes 590hp and 615 tq,  I'm not racing it, just want something to last!

dave73

When I was buying my parts last year, everyone steered me towards mcleod. Recommended was twin disc but at the time, I couldn't afford it so I'm running their super streetpro single disc. Seems to be working out fine so far...

RUNCHARGER

I did okay with 600HP and a Mcleod single disc but I didn't run slicks with it and they don't make the B&B style anymore. If you have nothing I would be tempted to go to a dual disc and not worry.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I stay away from Diaphragm clutches altogether they do not work well with Mopar linkage & can stay released when shifting @ high rpm
I have used a lot of the 3 finger type & mostly McLeod & McLeod make a unique Borg & Beck / Long hybrid that is Only available from McLeod .

303 Mopar

The Passon 4 spd OD in my 392 Hemi Cuda has a 3-finger RAM disc, which I heard Jamie and Brewers are now pushing instead of McLeod.  My '68 Charger has a diaphragm with a 505 stroker and I can tell it is not as tight as the 3-finger.

Todd489

Hey chryco, would you recommend mcleod twin disc sxt? 

Todd489

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 21, 2017, 08:00:48 PM
The Passon 4 spd OD in my 392 Hemi Cuda has a 3-finger RAM disc, which I heard Jamie and Brewers are now pushing instead of McLeod.  My '68 Charger has a diaphragm with a 505 stroker and I can tell it is not as tight as

Todd489

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 21, 2017, 07:05:11 PM
I stay away from Diaphragm clutches altogether they do not work well with Mopar linkage & can stay released when shifting @ high rpm
I have used a lot of the 3 finger type & mostly McLeod & McLeod make a unique Borg & Beck / Long hybrid that is Only available from McLeod .
hey chryco, would you recommend the twin disc mcleod sxt?

cam440

yeah I run a McLeod borg and beck  recommended from dan at brewers I got the a833 rebuild  kit and clutch and its great on my 340 stroker should be fine on my new 493 as well id say , not to heavy and works great

torredcuda

I`ve been running a Centerforce dual friction for 20 years in mine, not a high horsepower (less than 400) engine but has been regularly powershifted at 7000 rpm, lot`s of burnouts and other abuse with Zero issues. I just pulled it apart this spring and it still had some meat left on the discs but the flywheel and pressure plate do need resurfacing/ replacing. I pulled the return spring as recommended  to prevent the sticking pedal that chryco mentioned.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Todd489 on November 24, 2017, 12:30:15 PM
Hey chryco, would you recommend mcleod twin disc sxt?

Yes , I have a street twin behind my 512