Main Menu

Best location for fuel pump cutoff switch?

Started by Dakota, February 05, 2020, 04:19:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I'm getting ready to install this fuel pump cutoff switch in my Challenger. It is supposed to disable the electric fuel pump if an accident occurs.   I'm curious where other members with an electric fuel have installed these things.   I was thinking about putting it inside the trunk but maybe there's a better spot for dealing with accidental trips or intentionally tripping it as an added anti-theft measure. 

If available, pictures would be appreciated to show the exact location. 

Thanks. 

GoodysGotaCuda

Mine is inside my passenger kickpanel area, which is near my relay box. I don't use it for anti-theft, however.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

303 Mopar

I installed mine under the dash to the right of the steering column.  I used it as an anti-theft as well.

Brads70

dodj

Quote from: Dakota on February 05, 2020, 04:19:18 AM
I'm getting ready to install this fuel pump cutoff switch in my Challenger. It is supposed to disable the electric fuel pump if an accident occurs.
What does it 'sense' to determine that the pump should be disabled? Oil pressure? G force?
:huh:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dakota

The one in the picture senses g force.  I have a separate switch that will be sensing oil pressure that will also shut off the fuel pump.  Getting all this wired together is one of the next things for me to work on.

CudaMoparRay

Another fine thread to put in my library of knowledge

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: dodj on February 05, 2020, 06:59:37 PM
Quote from: Dakota on February 05, 2020, 04:19:18 AM
I'm getting ready to install this fuel pump cutoff switch in my Challenger. It is supposed to disable the electric fuel pump if an accident occurs.
What does it 'sense' to determine that the pump should be disabled? Oil pressure? G force?
:huh:

It's an inertia switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTwkQYC1viY
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

JS29

Crash520

Mines mounted in the trunk alongside the f/p relay on a panel on the trunk lid hinge support panel, the vertical brace alongside the inner fender that goes up to the filler panel. You can mount it anyplace that's accessible so long as it's a vertical surface and you mount it vertically.
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Claudia

I literally just finished installing / wiring my electric fuel pump as well as my safety shut off switch . . . mine only monitors oil pressure though.  I also added a bypass switch for filling the carburetor bowl which should make things easier after she has been sitting for awhile!   :fingerscrossed:

Dakota

Quote from: Crash520 on February 06, 2020, 08:14:43 AM
Mines mounted in the trunk alongside the f/p relay on a panel on the trunk lid hinge support panel, the vertical brace alongside the inner fender that goes up to the filler panel. You can mount it anyplace that's accessible so long as it's a vertical surface and you mount it vertically.

I ended up doing something similar.  I made a small filler block out of some scrap MDF and mounted it to the vertical brace near the driver side trunk hinge.  The switch is mostly out of sight but still reachable for resetting.

I was going to add an oil pressure switch too, but it won't work with the fuel pump priming cycle that my FiTech runs before each start.

After looking a lot more online, there are two equally strong schools of thought about mounting it in the rear for better response to an impact or in the passenger compartment for convenient resetting.  My "best of both worlds" approach: make the connection for the inertia switch under the dash with the fuel pump relay trigger wire (orange wire from Fitech 6 pin connector). I'll be zip-tying a jumper wire with the same connector near the tie-in point so the inertia switch can be bypassed without exiting the car.   I'll post some pictures of this in my build thread when I get to it.