Main Menu

dimmer switch location

Started by GoMangoBoys, November 29, 2022, 04:11:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

We are installing our carpet now.  It is going well, but we had replaced the floor pan and I now have no idea what the precise location is for the dimmer switch.  Also, how do the wires route to the dimmer switch?  Under the carpet?
Thanks

jimynick

Did you use a stamped floor replacement or did you fab your own? Most pre-stamped replacement panels have the holes already in them. Fsiling that do you have the old carpet to use as a template? Failing that do you have the new replacement rug that you could use? Failing all that, let us know whether it's a Challenger or Cuda and somebody could take a tape and look.  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

The location is not that critical, as long as the E brake pedal doesn't hit it, don't think a show judge will whip out his measuring tape  :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

B5fourspeed

The wire from harness will only go so far.It goes under the kick panel to the switch.Test fit the length of the connection so it will reach the switch.

Jay Bee

A couple pictures from my car.

GoMangoBoys

Thanks all.  I have another question about this.  Does the dimmer switch mount to the floor and the carpet get cut around it or does the switch sit on top of the carpet?

tparker

Here are a couple photos. The one measuring from the left is based on the top of the insulation, not inside the well. THere is another showing from the bottom leg of the windshield fluid pump and another from the brake pedal. Hoe that helps

It should mount under the carpet I believe. Some carpets have a hole already cutout. I just notched an x in it. My carpet was trashed so I am not sure how the factory was done

anlauto

The grommets were never factory  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Dakota

Quote from: tparker on November 30, 2022, 09:59:55 AM
It should mount under the carpet I believe. Some carpets have a hole already cutout. I just notched an x in it.

The switch mounts to the floor under the carpet.   I had to cut a hole in my new carpet for it.   A rubber grommet was provided with the new carpet, but I found the grommet needed to be trimmed quite a bit to avoid interference with the switch operation.

Claudia

If still needed . . . as others have already mentioned, switch is mounted directly to the floor under the carpet.  Here are some additional pictures and measurements . . . hopefully they help.

anlauto

These are some excellent pictures :worship: