Main Menu

Brad Penn 40W

Started by Michael_B767_ATP, December 28, 2017, 07:53:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi Everyone,

What's your opinion on Brad Penn 40W in a 440 here in Florida, good idea or not?

Thanks
Mike

Spikedog08

Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Michael_B767_ATP

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi,

I like the idea of added zinc.

Spikedog08

Certainly would work for me . .  :twothumbsup:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

RUNCHARGER

I wouldn't. I just don't like the idea on forcing 40W through an engine with stock clearances at say 70 degrees (cold startup).
Sheldon

Cuda_mark

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 28, 2017, 09:38:52 PM
I wouldn't. I just don't like the idea on forcing 40W through an engine with stock clearances at say 70 degrees (cold startup).

I've used the Brad Penn 10W-40 for years now in all of my older cars. A little more expensive but I like the idea of zinc as well.

340challconvert

Buy the Brad Penn, great for our older engines!

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Brads70

I'd say 40W will be fine with stock clearances, especially in Florida. I've used Brad Penn oil in my toys for years now. I use 20-50w in mine as per engine builder request. 

cudabob496

been using full syn 5-30w for 15 years.

flows quicker at startup, and increases horse power.

also, syn oil works until about 750 degrees, while regular oil will
quite at 450 degrees, if you have an oil starvation issue. Saved
my bacon when I lost oil pressure once.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Cudamike

Brad Penn oil is partially synthetic to help on start up

cudabob496

on my cars that sit outside in winter, I put 0-30w full synthetic, so
there is quick oil flow at startup. I use to have 10-40w in a Honda Accord,
and for a second after startup you could hear the valves tapping away.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Topcat

Quote from: Cuda_mark on December 29, 2017, 05:52:11 AM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 28, 2017, 09:38:52 PM

I've used the Brad Penn 10W-40 for years now in all of my older cars. A little more expensive but I like the idea of zinc as well.

Brad Penn 10-40 or Joe Gibbs oil 10-40 is what I use.

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on December 29, 2017, 12:26:17 PM
I use 20-50w in mine as per engine builder request.
Do you know why he would recommend such an oil?

For people that would like to read a lot about oil..
https://bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Jim AAR

I've used 20w50 usually Valvoline VR1 Racing Motor Oil in my 340-6pk since I have owned the car and my engine builder recommended that as well when it was rebuilt in 1982-83. Never had any issues with it. It's has High zinc/phosphorus for anti-wear protection, including push-rod and flat tappet applications

I have never started or driven the car when the temperature was lower than 45 degrees F.

Synthetic oil was in it's infancy back then:

Quote below from: http://www.oil4kids.com/syn-hist.htm

The Development of Synthesized Motor Oils:
A Historical Review
by Ed Newman
Marketing & Advertising Coordinator, AMSOIL INC.

Actually, for more than a year Jack had been putting a variety of Al's synthetic formulations in his previous cars, so he did not feel that he was putting his vehicle at serious risk. After several more years of fine tuning his formulation, AMZOIL (Amatuzio-oil) was created and became the first 100% synthetic diester based engine oil to pass the API sequence tests and receive API qualification in 1972.

The following year Mobil Oil began marketing the first PAO based engine oil overseas and in 1975 they began test marketing a synthetic PAO based synthetic in the U.S. called Mobil 1.

Over time a growing niche of consumers became aware of the performance benefits synthetic offered. As additional products were developed, from synthetic diesel oil to two cycle oils, synthetic transmission fluids and gear lubes, so grew the interest. With growing market opportunity, more companies made contributions in the development of basestock fluids and new technologies, including the Gulf Oil Company (since acquired by Chevron), Chevron Corporation, Amoco, Ethyl Corporation, Exxon, Henkel, Castrol, Uniroyal, Lubrizol, Neste Chemical, and Texaco (additive technology and synfluids since acquired by Ethyl).

By the mid-nineties nearly every oil company carried a high end synthetic motor oil in its product line, though only a few companies seem truly dedicated to promoting them. Nevertheless, synthetic lubricants are currently the fastest growing segment of the oil industry and they are definitely here for the long haul.