Main Menu

Brad Penn 40W

Started by Michael_B767_ATP, December 28, 2017, 07:53:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudabob496

Quote from: cordodge on January 04, 2018, 12:48:39 PM
I run Joe Gibbs LS-5/30 in my 572 Hemi as Tim Banning's (forhemisonly)advised, He was very firm on that so I'm not about to question him for sure.

Bruce.

I assume that's full synthetic
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

dodj

I run Joe Gibbs LS-5/30 in my 572 Hemi as Tim Banning's (forhemisonly)advised, He was very firm on that so I'm not about to question him for sure.

Bruce.
5/30 would be an awesome oil I would think. The easy flow at low temps would get things lubricated quickly.

Yes it is synthetic bob.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi,

What about Brad Penn 40w with a 20% mix of Marvel Mystery Oil?.

Thanks
Mike

cudabob496

don't like the sound of that, and have
never seen it recommended.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

cordodge

Quote from: cudabob496 on January 04, 2018, 04:48:42 PM

Bruce.

I assume that's full synthetic

Sorry, yes full synthetic.

gumby

Something like 75% to 80% of engine wear occurs during start up, when oil is not pumped up. When the engine is dry.

If you are SERIOUS about it, and I mean seriously worried about it, you can use one of these to pre-lube your engine.
Will also give you precious seconds if you lose pressure to shut down. They are CHEAP insurance?

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/engine-oil-accumulators

I bought a three qt. one off ebay years ago. Moroso. You can get the stuff to make them a pre-luber cheap, and never worry about all this non-sense again!

Also good for cool down on turbo engines, if you want?

There are also electric engine prelube systems available. here is one https://www.cpperformance.com/products/Oil/engine-pre-lube.htm

not the only one on the market, there are PLENTY of options!

Chryco Psycho

I would argue that , 40 years ago if an engine lasted 150,000 miles it was doing exceptional
now twice that is normal , EFI controls the fuel so much better , carbs are just a controlled fuel leak , it seems it had more to do with fuel wash in the cylinder , Efi provides better metering & atomization = less fuel wash  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Accumulators are a great idea I believe.
Sheldon

gumby

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 01, 2018, 05:30:04 PM
I would argue that , 40 years ago if an engine lasted 150,000 miles it was doing exceptional
now twice that is normal , EFI controls the fuel so much better , carbs are just a controlled fuel leak , it seems it had more to do with fuel wash in the cylinder , Efi provides better metering & atomization = less fuel wash  :alan2cents:

But people here aren't asking about efi engines in general? are they? They are asking about their old tech CARB engines. - HENCE, the reply that I made.
Pre-lubers or accumulators are they way to go on them. Not trying to start a firestorm, not trying to address a problem that doesn't exist in NEW cars,
just trying to help people with their OLD carb cars. That's all. It's a CHEAP, EASY, SIMPLE solution.

Even older cars equipped with efi will benifit if they haven't been driven in some time. Look into it. Pre lubing is always good. There are NO pitfalls, downfalls, bad consequences.

You prelube your engine before firing it up for the first time? I hope! ask yourself WHY? same theory.

Chryco Psycho

I agree , prelubing an engine & getting oil through the engine will definately help , no downside ,but if 75% of engine wear was at start up engines would wear out as fast as they used to as efi would make little difference but they don't , so EFI has to be reducing engine wear as well