Main Menu

clutch fan spacing

Started by Gross Polluter, June 10, 2024, 12:08:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gross Polluter

When trying to set the fan so it is far enough into the shroud (I think I've read 2/3 of the fan blade), does the distance between the face of the clutch and the radiator matter?  In other words, as long as the face of the clutch isn't touching the radiator, does it matter?
1970 Challenger RT 383 auto Plum Crazy

2012 Challenger RT 5.7 6-speed STP (sold, sadly)

2020 Charger 6.4L Scat Pack

1970 cuda Joe

The rule of thumb has been about 1/2 way in the shroud. I don't know if the applies to Mopars....Joe
1970 cuda 440-6, 4 speed NOM. Moulin Rouge

MoparLeo

That information can be found in your Factory Service Manual in Section 7, which is the cooling section.
3/4" to 1 1/4" is the factory spec. If you don't have a manual. They are available as a free download in the refefnce section of this site.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Gross Polluter

Quote from: MoparLeo on June 10, 2024, 11:34:31 AMThat information can be found in your Factory Service Manual in Section 7, which is the cooling section.
3/4" to 1 1/4" is the factory spec. If you don't have a manual. They are available as a free download in the refefnce section of this site.

Thanks.  The shroud is only about 2.5" deep so it seems like the fan would need to be in the lower end of that range to have the blades largely within the shroud. 

The manual says nothing about the distance of the face of the clutch to the radiator, should I assume it doesn't matter as long as it's not touching the radiator? 

The manual also says spacers shouldn't be used regardless of the fan spacing from the radiator.  Is there a reason for that?  Are folks not using spacers with clutches to get the fan at the proper distance? 

RUNCHARGER

Factory clutch fan was the exact distance needed to avoid having an out of round mounting. The factory spacer for a direct drive fan wasn't a chintzy part either it had provisions to exactly center it and the fan on the WP.
Sheldon

MoparLeo

Maybe we should back up and get all the facts.
Engine size? Factory radiator ? Size ? A/C ? Factory clutch fan ? Factory 1 piece fan shroud ? Fan diameter ?
This information is also in the FSM.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Gross Polluter

Quote from: MoparLeo on June 10, 2024, 07:57:54 PMMaybe we should back up and get all the facts.
Engine size? Factory radiator ? Size ? A/C ? Factory clutch fan ? Factory 1 piece fan shroud ? Fan diameter ?
This information is also in the FSM.

Thanks.  383, factory 22" rad, no A/C, flex-a-lite clutch, flex-a-lite 6 blade ~18" fan, factory shroud.