Main Menu

Fan to shroud spacing

Started by blown motor, September 10, 2022, 09:36:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I'm fighting a little temperature issue on my 440 Charger. I replaced the fan clutch to see if it makes any difference. But also, the end of the fan blade is 1 and 5/16" away from the shroud and that seems like a lot to me. What's the recommended space for that?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

headejm

My stock 1970 383 Challenger w/ AC and 26" radiator measures about 0.5" between the fan blade and shroud.

Aloha Randy

Same here, 1/2 inch. The gap in the picture looks too excessive to be effective.

YellowThumper

Agree with all others have said. That is too much clearance.
1/2 inch or so sounds about right.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

blown motor

Can you buy a 19" 7 blade fan? I'm sure there's room for it.

Brads70

headejm

I'd look into modifying your current shroud before spending money on a different fan. Plus bigger fan = more hp loss and more noise. Can you cut your current shroud in half, remove some material on either side of the cut and reconnect the pieces?

Or, can you add additional material to your current shroud to take up some of the gap?

Or, can you find a different, smaller shroud?

Filthy Filbert

If he's fighting a temperature issue, maybe a larger fan is to his benefit anyway...

blown motor

Quote from: headejm on September 12, 2022, 09:48:09 AM
I'd look into modifying your current shroud before spending money on a different fan. Plus bigger fan = more hp loss and more noise. Can you cut your current shroud in half, remove some material on either side of the cut and reconnect the pieces?

Or, can you add additional material to your current shroud to take up some of the gap?

So what if I loose a couple hp? I'm racing anybody. And I doubt I'd hear any difference in noise over my exhaust. The priority is to get the engine to run a bit cooler and to cool back down after I get on it a few times.

Cudajason

Quote from: blown motor on September 12, 2022, 05:51:45 PM
Quote from: headejm on September 12, 2022, 09:48:09 AM

So what if I loose a couple hp? I'm racing anybody. And I doubt I'd hear any difference in noise over my exhaust. The priority is to get the engine to run a bit cooler and to cool back down after I get on it a few times.

@blown motor I have a 7 blade fan in my inventory.  you are welcome to try it and see if it helps!
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

blown motor

Quote from: Cudajason on September 13, 2022, 08:22:07 AM

@blown motor I have a 7 blade fan in my inventory.  you are welcome to try it and see if it helps!

@Cudajason Give me a call when it works for you.

chargerdon

I was told on here, that, the spacing for the shroud should be such that the fan blade is HALF inside the shroud and half out.   

headejm

:iagree:

Here is my 1970 w/ 26" radiator and AC.