Main Menu

Clutch options

Started by GoMangoBoys, February 08, 2020, 05:05:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Does anyone have any experience with either of these clutches?
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.php?prod=CDF1123

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.php?prod=RAM-P1123

As I understand, there is a difference between a B+B 3 finger and a diaphragm clutch.  The centerforce clutch is one that I have heard very good things about in the GM world. 
Is the RAM clutch the "long" style 3 finger?

We will be doing a stroker on a 383 with an OD 833.   The bellhousing that I acquired requires the 143 tooth flywheel.

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

I would never use a Centerforce , I have had them last as long as 1 weekend & once depressed they can stay over centered at high RPM , you must have a rev limiter
the Ram clutch is by far the better choice but it is a normal 3 finger , Not the 3 finger long style , McLeod was the only one making the 3 finger long style & I doubt they are making it anymore , I used them exclusively but I have not bought one in a decade now . I wonder if they quit building them because I quit buying them  :thinking:
This is a picture of the Hybrid 3 finger B&B 3 finger Long Pressure plate

anlauto

I agree...they both have a totally different pedal feel as well. The Centerforce is easier on your knees, the Borg & Beck style is a lot stiffer like the factory originals.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I prefer Mcleod or Ram as well. You might want to get rid of your 143 tooth bellhousing especially if that's the only piece of the puzzle you have. 130 tooth parts are easier to source.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I believe he just purchased the 143 tooth belhousing , , the clutch & flywheel are no problem , maybe the release fork but Brewers should have that

Huskidrive

When I put my car together I was going to go with a Hays setup. I got the flywheel but they kept delaying the rest of the setup. I cancelled and went with Ram.......https://www.jegs.com/i/RAM-Clutches/798/98773/10002/-1. The next step is to get rid of that over center spring. More of a bother than anything else......

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!

anlauto

I don't think you want to remove the over center spring if you're running a Borg&Beck style three finger clutch  :alan2cents:  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: anlauto on February 08, 2020, 07:15:35 PM
I don't think you want to remove the over center spring if you're running a Borg&Beck style three finger clutch  :alan2cents:  :thinking:

:iagree:
That's for diaphragm clutches to keep the clutch pedal from dropping to the floor during hard acceleration.

Racer57

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on February 08, 2020, 07:25:57 PM
Quote from: anlauto on February 08, 2020, 07:15:35 PM

:iagree:
That's for diaphragm clutches to keep the clutch pedal from dropping to the floor during hard acceleration.
I am not doubting you, but I've never heard that before. Please explain why ?

Chryco Psycho

The overcenter spring does 2 things , it pulls the pedal away from the clutch at the top of its travel to save the release brg & it helps assist in depressing the clutch pedal & make s the pedal pressure lighter