Main Menu

Clutch Safety Switches

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 30, 2023, 05:19:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

What are the differences between 1970 and later year clutch safety switches?

I'm adding a four speed to my 71. I have an extra switch from a 70 and Brewers website indicates it would be useable in later years but is there a difference in appearance or mounting?

It won't be a numbers car so getting everything absolutely perfect isn't necessary but I'd like to try and use correct year components if I can. Particularly if the wrong year stuff sticks out noticeably.

Cuda_mark

I don't know the differences but I am looking for a 70 switch! So, if you decide to get one for 71 or later, I would be interested in your 70.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Cuda_mark on May 30, 2023, 06:20:04 AM
I don't know the differences but I am looking for a 70 switch! So, if you decide to get one for 71 or later, I would be interested in your 70.

Seems like the other year switches are just as impossible to find. Brewers only has the 70s now and searches for other years come up empty everywhere I look.

I'd love to see them reproduced at some point. I'm sure there's a market. Hopefully not PG though, They'd list them for like $1700 and when nobody bought them, they'd conclude there was no market for them rather than they overpriced them.

71vert340

Here's a 71 switch for E-body.
Terry W.

mccannix

And here's what your 1970 switch will look like.
2947858 is the number on the body as opposed to 3488177 on the 1971-74 switch body.
Note the difference on the 1970 in the part that houses the black bakelite and the bakelite and wiring attachment itself difference.
Your 1970 will be more sought after than 1971-74 used 4 years as opposed to 1970 one year only.
Both will interchange all years as they mount the same and arm functions the same

70 Challenger Lover

That's what I was looking for. Thanks all.