Main Menu

Clutch Starter Switch

Started by CudaJon, July 27, 2020, 12:56:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaJon

Hello!

Need a picture or two on the configuration of a clutch starter switch. The pictures are of my 73 Cuda and one can see that the previous owner has wired the device in some one.  I would like to figure out the correct way of using this. It seems like maybe missing a spring but I just don't know. A picture is worth a thousand words...    Thanks!!

71vert340

You can see what your missing on the switch arm. There's a rivet passing through a plastic bushing on the arm.
Terry

71vert340

CudaJon

OK I see the little arm at the end of the bracket, so it would seem I need a new mechanism since my must of broke off but what is he doing wiring it, what or where more likely does the little arm rest on. Any picture would be great.

71vert340

There's a little "S" or figure "8" shaped clip on the clutch pedal arm. The roller piece fits into it. See photo.
Terry

71vert340

CudaJon

Got it - thank you very much.

Now the question is: Does everyone have one for sale?  Brewers sells one but wants the 70 core with it. Thanks  this really clears it up.

Burdar

The previous owner wired it up so the car would start.  If it wasn't wired up, the starter would never engage.  If I were you, I'd try installing a small bolt/nut/spacer on the end of the arm to get it working properly again.

CudaJon

Yes, thanks - it's becoming clear what the previous owner did now.

71vert340

Quote from: CudaJon on July 28, 2020, 07:38:32 AM
Yes, thanks - it's becoming clear what the previous owner did now.

I agree with Burdar. I think your switch will probably work by replacing the roller arm yours is missing with a screw, a nut and a plastic bushing/spacer. The arm on the switch is spring loaded. As long as the switch works, you would be good to go. Also, one of the switches in my photo was sent to SFRestorations and he did a good job on it. @anlauto sent me a photo of the switch when he got it and he installed it on a car. It's another option to get yours repaired.
Terry