Main Menu

Crappppp! Stripped bolt.

Started by Cudajason, August 25, 2020, 05:38:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Well went to install the new flex plate tonight and stripped one of the bolts. GRRRRRRR!

Not sure what happened. The torque wrench never clicked.

On the bright side I think its just the bolt and not the hole, I took another bolt out and it tightened up ok...so I got that going for me.

Back to online shopping for some flex plate bolts I guess. 

:takemymoney:
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Topcat

The pictures upside down so my conclusion is that it was Made in China. 

jimynick

Jason, if you talk nice to Alan, I'll bet he's got more than a couple of those bolts. Faster/easier than the internet?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Mopar5

Quote from: Topcat on August 25, 2020, 05:50:44 PM
The pictures upside down so my conclusion is that it was Made in China.
looks like it was diametrically opposed to threading :)

cudamadd

Good result cudajason  got  out of jail there got to have luck some times  :cheers:

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on August 25, 2020, 06:52:15 PM
Jason, if you talk nice to Alan, I'll bet he's got more than a couple of those bolts. Faster/easier than the internet?  :cheers:

I thought of that, but now I am spooked.  If one bolt striped, how god are the other bolts.

Mopar sells a kit with both the crank bolts and flex plate bolts.  I figure it cant hurt to replace them all now!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

gzig5

Be careful with the bolt length and the thickness of the block it threads into on the torque converter.  I had a new converter installed when they rebuilt my trans.  They used the new bolts that came with the converter.  The bolts were about one thread too long, or the block on the converter was a little thinner than stock.  Either way, the bolts bottomed out on the sheet metal body of the converter and pushed it in, pulling the block against the welds.  After 50 miles the weld failed at 4000rpm, spewing trans fluid out the bottom of the car, providing some temporary rust proofing on the entire back half.  When it got on the exhaust it looked like a NASCAR blowing up on the front straight, fogged the entire road.   Just another detail to pay attention to.  :alan2cents:

Cudajason

Quote from: gzig5 on August 26, 2020, 07:26:08 AM
Be careful with the bolt length and the thickness of the block it threads into on the torque converter.  I had a new converter installed when they rebuilt my trans.  They used the new bolts that came with the converter.  The bolts were about one thread too long, or the block on the converter was a little thinner than stock.  Either way, the bolts bottomed out on the sheet metal body of the converter and pushed it in, pulling the block against the welds.  After 50 miles the weld failed at 4000rpm, spewing trans fluid out the bottom of the car, providing some temporary rust proofing on the entire back half.  When it got on the exhaust it looked like a NASCAR blowing up on the front straight, fogged the entire road.   Just another detail to pay attention to.  :alan2cents:

Thanks for the tip.  I will make sure I measure the old bolts and new bolts and the converter blocks.

Jason

dodj

Quote from: Cudajason on August 25, 2020, 05:38:58 PM
Well went to install the new flex plate tonight and stripped one of the bolts. GRRRRRRR!
Did you torque them 'wet' by any chance?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

Quote from: dodj on August 26, 2020, 08:01:04 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on August 25, 2020, 05:38:58 PM
Did you torque them 'wet' by any chance?

Nope