Main Menu

Crate engine recommendations

Started by 70pumpkin, July 24, 2018, 09:57:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Most warranties are full of crap.  My CME 408 stroker had a warranty, and when I called them with all the problems they said to pull the motor, I pay to ship it to them in N.C., I pay for them to inspect it, if there is something wrong the "warranty" covers parts but not labor AND I also have to pay to ship it back to me AND to find help reinstalling the motor.

Again, IMO find a local builder who can build you the motor you want.  When there is a problem, you can have it fixed right in your town hopefully without pulling the motor and no shipping.

Strawdawg

Quote from: 303 Mopar on July 25, 2018, 06:24:07 AM
Most warranties are full of crap.  My CME 408 stroker had a warranty, and when I called them with all the problems they said to pull the motor, I pay to ship it to them in N.C., I pay for them to inspect it, if there is something wrong the "warranty" covers parts but not labor AND I also have to pay to ship it back to me AND to find help reinstalling the motor.

Again, IMO find a local builder who can build you the motor you want.  When there is a problem, you can have it fixed right in your town hopefully without pulling the motor and no shipping.

so, it cost you a lot more to build/fix your engine than it would if you had spent more and had it done locally?  What was wrong with yours?

I note the Blueprint engines are covered for parts and labor with the exception of their race engines.

As I stated, I bought my CME engine based upon reviews and have been fortunate in having no problems.  Sometimes I get lucky...just not in Powerball or MegaMillions LOL

Summit sells Blueprint engines...OP might check reviews there as well
Steve

303 Mopar

Quote from: Strawdawg on July 25, 2018, 06:38:31 AM
so, it cost you a lot more to build/fix your engine than it would if you had spent more and had it done locally?  What was wrong with yours?

I note the Blueprint engines are covered for parts and labor with the exception of their race engines.

As I stated, I bought my CME engine based upon reviews and have been fortunate in having no problems.  Sometimes I get lucky...just not in Powerball or MegaMillions LOL

Summit sells Blueprint engines...OP might check reviews there as well

Glad to hear you had a better experience. CME told me they installed an external balanced crank, and they included that type of flexplate they sent too.  After installing the engine and diving around with the car uncontrollably shanking, I determined it was actually an INTERNAl balance crank and they sent the wrong flexplate.  So I swapped that out. 

The biggest issue was the engine leaked oil so bad, and I had to send them pics of the puddles on my garage floor for them to believe me.  They insisted they pressure test and run their engines on a dyno.  They even sent me a video my engine on the dyno, which turned out to not be my engine actually. I replaced the main seal, retightened all the rear plugs, changed the CME valve covers, ran a dye test and did everything could to fix all the leaks.  I never did find all of them because the engine still leaked when I sold the car.

70pumpkin

CME has been mentioned a few times - gonna check them out. 

Calling around, someone said that both ATK and Blueprint use the same block supplier so any differences would be any specific tweaks/mods they make.  Anyone know if this is true?

Strawdawg

I would not be surprised at all.  It's what someone does with the block that makes the difference :)

My experience with ATK goes back 20 years or so and I don't think they had a performance engine division at the time.  They claimed to sell turbo buick engines but tear downs showed a mish-mash of parts such as cranks from NA engines, etc.

I see they have offer "built" engines now.  I have heard virtually nothing about them other than I noticed Summit sold them as well.

I suspect a lot of time googling will be more beneficial with regard to a variety of user experiences :)

Steve

RUNCHARGER

Isn't there a Mopar specific engine shop in California? Mopars West or something like that? I agree having an engine built by someone closer is a good idea.
Sheldon

dave73

I did a quick google search and a few forums recommended QMP in Chattsworth. I'd start calling around locally - maybe go to a car show and ask around? I saw a few motors built by the guy that did mine before I went with him. I knew I was going to use it based on customer feedback.

Personal opinion, but if I was going to go with a crate engine I probably would only order through a big dealer like Roseville Moparts, Summit, Jegs. If something goes wrong you know they will do right by you.

ledphoot

Mopar Engines West was Rich Nedbal's shop, he built my smallblock stroker. I believe Rich moved on to specialize in fuel injection and Mopar Engines West no longer exists. Last time I looked the website was down etc.

7212Mopar

I had to go to SCal to have my 416 stroker built by Brian at IMM Engines since I could not find a Mopar shop up here at NCal.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

7212Mopar

If you are staying with SB, I think ATK only has magnum now and Blueprint still offers the LA version. Personally I prefer the LA with the rocker shaft setup. I looked at crate engines including Mopar and read too many horror stories. I finally decided to have one build by a reputable shop instead. It was too bad that MWE closed their door and I had to go south to get it done. It was worth it though. Check out IMM Engines website and their Facebook page and give Brian a call.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

BluePrint Engines

Hi this is Scott from BluePrint Engines. I just wanted to thank the previous posters who recommended us. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have on our engines.

We do have the strongest warranty in the industry at 30 months/50,000 miles. It does cover parts and labor. We also dyno test every engine that includes valve covers and oil pan as part of our quality control process. The customer gets the dyno results for their specific engine.

Scott Liggett
BluePrint Engines
1(800)483-4263
www.blueprintengines.com
info@blueprintengines.com

303 Mopar

Quote from: BluePrint Engines on July 25, 2018, 01:45:41 PM
Hi this is Scott from BluePrint Engines.

Thank you for chiming in and offering your services.   :bravo:

dave73

Blueprints site says race engines have no warranty. Also, other engines that do come with a warranty are will have the warranty voided if engine is used outside it's intended purpose. Not bad mouthing, just pointing that out to ask more details if you do talk to them. I'd like to know if running at the track voids the warranty.

nsmall

Asking a serious question, is a stroker considered a race engine?

@BluePrint Engines could maybe chime in.

Thanks

dodj

Whomever you choose to buy from, buy it when you are close to being ready to install it. If you buy it and it sits on a stand for a year, you will likely have no warranty left when you fire it up.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill