Main Menu

Difficulty of resolving this transmission leak?

Started by kawahonda, July 12, 2018, 08:57:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

100% sure I've found the transmission leak. It's at the linkage pictured. Assuming that there's a seal here that needs to be replaced?

Big job? Requires dropping tranny?
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

1 Wild R/T

That can be replaced in car without even dropping the pan.... They sell a couple tools than make it pretty easy...

https://www.ebay.com/i/141996189930?chn=ps

kawahonda

Thanks! Can you explain the process using that tool? Much appreciated!

1 Wild R/T

First thing unbolt the trans crossmember & drop the trans down to get more room... Then remove the two levers...

The first tool can slide over the shift shaft once the two levers are removed, it then screws into the seal (not quite as easy as it sounds) you have limited room & you need to force down when turning.... Before trying to screw it in back the bolt out..... After it gets a good bite & feels secure you run the bolt back in & that forces the seal out....

Second tool is a seal driver....  With the limited space you might have a tough time knocking the seal in but a 6-8" C clamp can be used very effectively...

gzig5

I've got the same thing going on. There are two seals on that shifter shaft. There are several threads out there and explain the process with pictures and there are a couple YouTube videos I'm having difficulty finding them from my phone.

1 Wild R/T

Yes there are two seals, the upper seal around the kick down lever shaft is above the fluid level & rarely leaks.... 

kawahonda

Quote from: gzig5 on July 13, 2018, 07:52:49 AM
I've got the same thing going on. There are two seals on that shifter shaft. There are several threads out there and explain the process with pictures and there are a couple YouTube videos I'm having difficulty finding them from my phone.

Please send them when you get them. I want to go armed with as much information as possible to make this as painless as possible.

Mine drops about a drop every 3-4 minutes. That's not good.

https://youtu.be/iBNkE0FA2_U

Here is one video, he actually ends up not using the tool, but still can see how to use it , if you turn it in the correct direction.

kawahonda

Awesome videos.

This looks like it would take a good part of the day to do it yourself. You know how stuff goes.

chargerdon

I hate getting seals out without scratching the shaft while laying on your back !!!   Wish i had a lift !!

kawahonda

I've reached out to a couple local trusted shops. Curious on how much they'd charge for this repair.

Spending $150 to have a pro do it in a n hour or two might be preferable to spending 6-7 hours on your back cussing.

Burdar

The pan comes off easy.  The valve body comes out easy.  With those two things removed, the seal is right infront of your face.  I'd rather do that then mess with the trans mount/x-member.  :alan2cents: You just have the hassle of refilling the trans with fluid when you're done.

If you have non stock exhaust, it might interfere with removing the pan...maybe not.

kawahonda

I like that plan better. The Tranny Fluid should be replaced anyways. I have the stock dual exhaust.

Sounds like it's much faster. Probably would be good to replace the tranny pan gasket while I'm at it.

Working from underneath, is there any tools that are necessary? I suppose it still wouldn't be a bad idea ordering that tool from eBay....

1 Wild R/T

If you drop the valve body you don't need the tool.....