Main Menu

Disaster...360 Engine blew a connecting rod

Started by chargerdon, June 09, 2019, 01:09:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Well...it never ends...   The 904 tranny started to leak when we were putting in the engine...looks like its on the pan itself.   I really wiped clean the above the pan area on the tranny and that looks like its staying clean.   Dropped the pan and put in a new gasket...but still the damn thing leaks...  mostly when just sitting there about 3-4 oz overnight...  So, i have ordered from Summit LubeLocker pan gasket that has a metal lining and elastomer beading.   Hopefully that will cure it.  Question:  The shop manual says 150 INCH-LBS to torque down the pan gaskets.  That sounds a little high to me..and will tend to mushroom out the gasket.  Suggestions?

On another front, trying to get to around 100 miles on the engine before changing from the break-in oil...engine started to run really rough and would not idle well..   Checking timing it was jumping all over the place...   I guess while the engine was being done which took over a month i should have drained the carb..but..no stupid me left it sitting on the shelf to evaporate...

so yesterday took the carb off (Eddy 1406), total disassembly, and soaked everything in carb cleaner solution for a few hours...then blew everything out with compressor and air nozzle..   Put it back together and back to running good..solid idle at around 800 rpm when in gear.   Much smoother takeoff..    i guess it had gummed up sitting.

Last problem, when checking the tranny for leaks i noticed a Very slight drip of engine oil coming out from the front of tranny bell housing...  Im hoping it is just the rear engine pan gasket...damn than 4 piece design...  i sure hope it isn't the rear main seal!!     Assuming its the across piece of the pan gasket, ill have to drop the pan and try again...  ill use use more rtv (The right stuff) on that gasket this time.   

Now, with if i do that, with my oil pressure issue (assuming regular not break in oil doesn't cure a lot of it), would you recommend putting in a Melling High Volume pump?   I have a standard capacity oil pan, but, the car will be only driven on the street 99% of the time, and taken to the drag strip maybe just one time...and that track is an 1/8 mile not 1/4 mile so i doubt that there is much of a chance of emptying the pan?   Yes?  NO?  on a high volume pump?

1 Wild R/T

Assuming you have a 727, if you want your leak to stop install one of these....

https://www.manciniracing.com/man727diptub1.html

chargerdon

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Thing is, it started leaking after the engine was pulled... The dipstick tube often gets tweaked slightly when the engine gets removed...

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Yeah I agree, it is another common leak that often is mistaken for a pan leak...

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: chargerdon on July 21, 2019, 01:38:47 PM
No..like i said...its the A904.

Well now your like my wife.. Expecting me to pay attention.....  :stop: :rofl: :rofl:

Chryco Psycho

If you drop the pan install a High Pressure oil pump Not a High volume

chargerdon

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 21, 2019, 06:14:11 PM
Thing is, it started leaking after the engine was pulled... The dipstick tube often gets tweaked slightly when the engine gets removed...

You guessed it...   after replacing the pan gasket with lubelocker gasket, i still have a leak...much less, but still a leak.   So, after cleaning the underside so that it was dry, i put a paper towel down around the dip stick tube...   Guess what that paper towel is soaked this morning.    I had pulled the tube and looked at the o-ring and it looked good..but..no denying that the tube is leaking with that paper towel soaked!!   So thanks...going to order the mancini racing tube !!    So thanks 1 Wild RT  !!!!   

chargerdon

Also, the area around the selector looks dry so i think i'm good there.

1 Wild R/T

It's funny, as I get more experienced I get lucky more often...... :thinking:  Glad you've found the problem.. :bradsthumb:

chargerdon

Yeah, but, as i get older...i dont get lucky very often !!   LOL